Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Your Thoughts Atheism,Determinism,Nature of Reality

Home // Atheism Versus Religion

SearchForTruth
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Your Thoughts Atheism,Determinism,Nature of Reality Reply with quote
The reason I have a problem with some people that label them selves as atheist, is because many of them seem to carry that label simply to represent their opposition to the religious establishment.I do understand why atheist are against religious institution, for the same reasons I am,but at the same time doesn't this mean that the common person still suffers from the same affliction that they had with religion in regard their views on the "Nature of Reality.".Meaning that whether you believe in god or not, your mind is still closing itself off to all the possibilities, including the imagination that may be required to conceptualize the Nature of the Universe.

The problem is not with the anti-theist aspect of atheism, but rather the effect atheism seems to have in narrowing or even shutting down all together one's
"Search For The Meaning of Life.".I do believe this is an important question that everyone should think about.I have also found that most of the people I know that consider themselves atheist, seem to do so for the reason of making themselves feel superior to others and don't even seem to have much scientific curiosity.Yet, these individuals act as if they have it all figured out, and if your not one of them, then either you don't believe in science, or you must be some kind religious nut case/space cadet.

I do understand the reasonings that some scientists may have, when coming to the conclusion that theirs no god, I have NO problem with that what so ever. They have made it their business to become informed individuals, and in turn came to what they believed to be a rational conclusion. Funny thing is, most atheist I've spoken too don't know the first thing about science, but rather believe that religion is responsible for all: wars, racism, and slavery, torture etc, which it certainly has to an extent.I think one of the real problems in our society is that people always seem compelled to have someone else give them all the answers to the questions that they should be contemplating them selves. I used to be atheist, but I decided that atheism and religion both are predicated on Faith, both claim to know something that they do not.Science is the only tool we have to verify what truth is, But if science knew all truths then it would cease to exist. I think it's better to have an open mind, and not to hold any belief as sacred.

Some of My Thoughts

1. If "Free Will" doesn't exist, then why do we need pleasure and pain to teach us how to make choices?

2.Survival is the "Mechanism" which forces us to play the game of life, but it should NOT be confused with the meaning of life.

3.The meaning of life is to teach us morality through perception.

4.If life was totally determinable, then there would be no reason for choice, and thus perception.

Quotes from Albert Einstein

“The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.”
-Albert Einstein

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.”
-Albert Einstein

“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiosity.”
-Albert Einstein

“The important thing is not to stop questioning.”
-Albert Einstein

“The ideals which have lighted my way, and time after time have given me new courage to face life cheerfully, have been Kindness, Beauty, and Truth. The trite subjects of human efforts, possessions, outward success, luxury have always seemed to me contemptible.”
-Albert Einstein

“Imagination is more important than knowledge...”
-Albert Einstein

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”
-Albert Einstein

“As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.”
-Albert Einstein, "Geometry and Experience", January 27, 1921
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
SearchForTruth wrote:
Meaning that whether you believe in god or not, your mind is still closing itself off to all the possibilities, including the imagination that may be required to conceptualize the Nature of the Universe.

Of course not.

There's a difference between "making a decision" and "closing one's mind".

I've concluded that there is no god.
But i can always change my mind, if new evidence becomes available that would seem to contradict that conclusion.

Just because you decide to believe one thing or another doesn't mean that you've closed yourself off to other possibilities. It's just that some people do both at the same time.

SearchForTruth wrote:

1. If "Free Will" doesn't exist, then why do we need pleasure and pain to teach us how to make choices?

If free will doesn't exist, then the appearance of choice is an illusion, and how you feel during the course of an action doesn't change that.

I think "free will" is a poorly thought out idea, personally. People take "free will" to be the idea both that there's an intelligent agent behind a person's behavior, and that this intelligent agent can do anything.

But that doesn't make sense. If an agent is making decisions based on input and logical (or, rule-based, anyway) conclusions, then its behavior is always predetermined by its makeup and the input that it's given. It can only ever make one choice in any given situation.

If an agent really could go either way, then it's not an intelligent agent at all. Randomness is the opposite of intelligent behavior. And that's assuming that true randomness actually exists.

Quote:

3.The meaning of life is to teach us morality through perception.

What makes you think that?

Quote:

4.If life was totally determinable, then there would be no reason for choice, and thus perception.

If life was predetermined, then there would be no choice at all; the reason for choice would be irrelevent.

And i fail to see how choice is necessary for perception. You could very well perceive choices that don't trully exist. In fact, any agent making intelligent decisions would have to perceive choices in order to do so, even though its ultimate decision is already determined.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Atheism Versus Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1