Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   


You gotta have soul.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Atheism Versus Religion
Author Message
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
...why not? I'm not quite sure what you're saying.


Because they are counter intuitive.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 2508

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
So? The universe is as it is, regardless of what you do or do not intuit about it.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't know that at all.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 2508

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's one of two options. Either reality behaves as you choose, or there is objective truth.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or it's a mix of both, there are actually limitless options, perhaps 1% behaves as you choose and the other 99% is objective, or vice versa.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 2508

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
...yes, i'd agree.

What makes you think that you decide any part of how reality behaves?
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't really think that, more I hope I do, because otherwise I would be powerless, and thats a little scary.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 2508

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
...in which case, why the objection involving counterintuitiveness?
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because order is by it's nature intuitive?
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 2508

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What would make you think that?

Scientific investigation tends to point towards quite the opposite conclusion.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you know the order you can intuit the next occurence yes?
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 2508

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you mean.

Do you mean, "if you understand the pattern of something, then you can predict the behavior of that something."?

If so, then that is true. But that's not the same as intuition.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 2774

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, well I would have attributed intuition to that, because you can't be sure that the pattern *will* be true.
Back to top
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Atheism Versus Religion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google

Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites Politics Blogs Politics