Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Why Can't We All Get Along?

Home // Atheism Versus Religion

ringwormbettie
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Why Can't We All Get Along? Reply with quote
Why can't Christians let people of other religions/life styles do their own thing? And why do people hate others based on religion? Are we really that ignorant?
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
People tend to be naturally driven to desire to make others conform with what they perceive to be group norms. It's a matter of social cohesion.

I think very few people ever think to themselves, "gee, i don't like people who are different from me. this has got to stop!"

Rather, they get drawn that way through group think.
Spider Jerusalem
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Why Can't We All Get Along? Reply with quote
ringwormbettie wrote:
Why can't Christians let people of other religions/life styles do their own thing? And why do people hate others based on religion? Are we really that ignorant?

If by do your own thing you mean do something that would both contradict and bassicaly shit on my princaples, then no.

As for religion, I don't know about Christians. But I could really give a rat's ass what you (or don't) believe.

Then again, i'm a Satanist.

And great assesment ex, I'm sure you're the exception to that rule right? *Makes masturbating hand gesture*
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
How did we ever survive without you spider??

I personally am constantly trying to make people like me, what can I say, I'm a perfectionist.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Why Can't We All Get Along? Reply with quote
Spider Jerusalem wrote:

And great assesment ex, I'm sure you're the exception to that rule right?

Yes and no.

No, in that i'm not susceptible to group think. Not because i'm superior, but because i don't like groups. It's a social anxiety kind of thing.

Yes, in that i do wish to compel other people to behave according to what i believe should be social norms. I suppose the difference is that my desire in this sense is entirely conscious, rather than emergent from group behavior.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or perhaps it's inversely emergent from group behaviour?
Gant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Can't We All Get Along? Reply with quote
[quote="Spider Jerusalem"][quote="ringwormbettie"]
Then again, i'm a Satanist.[quote]

I bet your a satanist cause your afraid that the devil will punish you if you are not on his side.

Oh well. Same with religous people really, except they are afraid of hell and please god to stay out of it.

Boy, religion has a lot of blackmailing in it eh?
(Yes I'm canadian lol)
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I lived in canada!
Vinces

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Christians should definately not be cruel or hate anyone. Christ wasn't and they follow him. that being said we are all humans and prone to imperfections.
They would try to convince you to believe their ways out of love. They want to share what they believe is good news to you. I'm sure not all who call themselves christians operate with the motivation of love. They should.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Atheism Versus Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1