Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

What real conservative would...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

PeaceLoveandRockNRoll
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
...advocate small government by proposing to increase the size of the armed forces by 92,000 troops in the next five years?

According to Bush, 2012, when the augmentation is complete, will be peacetime. But hiring 92,000 new full-time federal employees, all of whom require extensive training and outfitting? All while claiming his goal is to balance the budget? Sure will increase the tax burden... I think an army of sufficient size to invade and occupy two third-world countries simultaneously is enough, isn't it? Why do we need 92000 more unless someone has an enormous war planned?
Amin
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
well he isnt really conservative
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
He "isn't really conservative" much in the same way that he "isn't really a christian".

He doesn't fit with some people's ideas of what a proper conservative should be, but he is conservative none the less.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
The bigger the american deficit the worse it is for the world, lots of america's allies are now in control of the debt, like japan, the worlds second biggest economic power, if the debt gets too big we're looking at another depression, and although it was fun the last time, I'm not looking forward to a second one.
Docsmitter
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll wrote:
...advocate small government by proposing to increase the size of the armed forces by 92,000 troops in the next five years?

According to Bush, 2012, when the augmentation is complete, will be peacetime. But hiring 92,000 new full-time federal employees, all of whom require extensive training and outfitting? All while claiming his goal is to balance the budget? Sure will increase the tax burden... I think an army of sufficient size to invade and occupy two third-world countries simultaneously is enough, isn't it? Why do we need 92000 more unless someone has an enormous war planned?

92, 000 isn't really a precursor to a large war. Stockpilling of war time materials and such is. The economy will show it before the troops. Look at Germanies increase in heavy indy, before WWII.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
Docsmitter wrote:
Look at Germanies increase in heavy indy, before WWII.

Just how much would it show up, in america's economy?

We've already got military hardware coming out of our collective asses. The military has been stockpiling and updating almost continuously since ww2.
Docsmitter
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
exton wrote:
Docsmitter wrote:
Look at Germanies increase in heavy indy, before WWII.

Just how much would it show up, in america's economy?

We've already got military hardware coming out of our collective asses. The military has been stockpiling and updating almost continuously since ww2.

No but for a large scale war it would show, in black book budgets. Sudden government conversion of local automotive companies to war efforts. Car prices would go up, subtle but they would, its small things alot but alot of small things. The gov would almost take over resources, not by sezuire but by buying large amount of stock and share in war essential resources.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
Docsmitter wrote:

No but for a large scale war

There ain't gonna be another "large scale war".

I think that, when he said "preparing for a big war", what he actually meant was like....invading iran, or something. Not a world war.
Docsmitter
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
exton wrote:
Docsmitter wrote:

No but for a large scale war

There ain't gonna be another "large scale war".

I think that, when he said "preparing for a big war", what he actually meant was like....invading iran, or something. Not a world war.

It would still show up, mostly in black book budgets. Money that never realy existed and government investments into war production. If we really are gonna invade Iran the senate will leak about the budget.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
Docsmitter wrote:

It would still show up, mostly in black book budgets. Money that never realy existed and government investments into war production.

Ah, but those budgets are, and have been, very large. They never stopped.

Quote:

If we really are gonna invade Iran the senate will leak about the budget.

If we're going to invade iran...leak the budget? No, that's no good. They better impeach the fucker in that case.
Docsmitter
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
exton wrote:
Docsmitter wrote:

It would still show up, mostly in black book budgets. Money that never realy existed and government investments into war production.

Ah, but those budgets are, and have been, very large. They never stopped.

Quote:

If we really are gonna invade Iran the senate will leak about the budget.

If we're going to invade iran...leak the budget? No, that's no good. They better impeach the fucker in that case.

No I don't mean like stop the budget but in their reports and breakdowns things would leak or give off hins of war.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
Docsmitter wrote:

No I don't mean like stop the budget but in their reports and breakdowns things would leak or give off hins of war.

I know that's what you meant. And I mean that that's insufficient. Congress is a full and equal branch of government - if they think something untoward is going on, they have the capability and the duty to do a lot more than leave some coy little hints.
Docsmitter
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
exton wrote:
Docsmitter wrote:

I know that's what you meant. And I mean that that's insufficient. Congress is a full and equal branch of government - if they think something untoward is going on, they have the capability and the duty to do a lot more than leave some coy little hints.

Wether they wanted to leave the hint or not, it would come out. I am not implying they are doing it on purpose. Lets supose congress is with war, but they don't want a general public knowledge yet. If it was starting to build and you looked in the right places, you would find these hints.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ah, i understand.
JohnnyLee5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What real conservative would... Reply with quote
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll wrote:

First of all, providing a military is one item that is delegated by the Constitution to be in the scope of the federal government and taxable to the American people. This unlike numerous federal programs that find no foundation in our founding document and that are the vices of our over-inflated government.
In case you are not aware of it ,( of course it is not widely reported) the federal budget deficit has been cut in half in part due to tax cuts that have stimulated growth which in turn have increased federal receipts. This is true even with the planned troop increase. As far as believing that our military is sufficient in size, this usually comes from the same sources that continually complain that our troops are subject to overly extented tours of duty. The new plan will minimize reservist tours to one year and greatly reduce the burden on the troops already in the field- it supports our troops- a conservative principle.
Furthermore, I don't hear anyone touting that the fed is creating 92,000 new jobs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Conservative Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2