Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Turkish Military Chief Warns of Threat to Secularism

Home // Atheism Versus Religion

chevydriver1123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Turkish Military Chief Warns of Threat to Secularism Reply with quote
Good read. Its funny how we celebrate these types of people over in Turkey but if some General in the US said this about our own country he would be called some flaming, godless, homosexual loving liberal.

http://www.voanews.com/english.....-voa48.cfm
Anym
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think this is proof that secularism breeds democracy and Religion breeds Theocracy
Cookie Parker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anym wrote:
I think this is proof that secularism breeds democracy and Religion breeds Theocracy

Secularism casts aside the notions that curiosity, reasoning and thinking skills, critical thinking and questioning are evil and bad.

Religion forbids these processes, preferring a nation into which ideas can be poured into the heads and minds of its little skeered followers, IMHO.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yum. Turkey.

I like it with swiss cheese on a roll.
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anym wrote:

I generally agree, Anym, but I'm not sure I would hold up Turkey as a bastion of democracy. The turkish military is talking about "upholding secularism and democracy" with the business end of a gun.
chevydriver1123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
fellfire wrote:
Anym wrote:

I generally agree, Anym, but I'm not sure I would hold up Turkey as a bastion of democracy. The turkish military is talking about "upholding secularism and democracy" with the business end of a gun.

When you compare it to the other Muslim countries I would say it is a pretty good bastion.
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
chevydriver1123 wrote:
fellfire wrote:
Anym wrote:

When you compare it to the other Muslim countries I would say it is a pretty good bastion.

I can't disagree with you, Chevy, by comparison, it is a mecca of freedoms.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Atheism Versus Religion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1