the u.s. and israel are so good to the palestinians

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Liberals Versus Conservatives Forum Index // Liberals Versus Conservatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jusdeadphunky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: the u.s. and israel are so good to the palestinians Reply with quote
Back to Story - Help
Yahoo! News
Rice says she registers Mideast demands

By ANNE GEARAN, AP Diplomatic Writer2 hours, 52 minutes ago

President Bush's top diplomat tried to assure Palestinians on Sunday she has heard their demands for a stronger U.S. hand to guide peace efforts with Israel. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, however, offered no new plans and gave few clues to how she views recent initiatives proposed by others.

"I have heard loud and clear the call for deeper American engagement in these processes," she said after meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. "You will have my commitment to do precisely that."

Seeking to strengthen Abbas in his power struggle with the Palestinian Hamas faction, Rice said it is time "to look at the political horizon and begin to show to the Palestinian people how we might move toward a Palestinian state."

A proposed $85 million grant to train and equip the historically troubled security service loyal to Abbas would come with strings attached, Rice said. Abbas promised the money would not be misused.

The Palestinian leader, whose Fatah faction lost elections a year ago to the Islamic militants of Hamas, said the weapons were needed to impose order after weeks of Fatah-Hamas fighting that has killed 35 people.

The dispute has alarmed some of Abbas' Arab neighbors, including Jordan's King Abdullah II. Abdullah has warned of the possibility of three civil wars in the Middle East — in Iraq, the Palestinian territories and Lebanon — and asked for renewed U.S. diplomacy.

Despite signs of life in the moribund Israeli-Palestinian peace process, Rice encountered skepticism from both sides in two days of meetings with Israeli and Palestinian leaders.

Abbas rejected one idea Sunday that Israel considers promising: the establishment of a provisional Palestinian state in temporary borders.

Abbas also complained to Rice that Israel has not followed through on promises made at his much-awaited meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert last month.

Israeli media reported that hardline deputy prime minister, Avigdor Lieberman, told Rice that the Israeli Army will have to re-enter the Gaza Strip at some point, and that 30,000 U.N. troops are needed to secure the chaotic Palestinian territory on Israel's southern flank.

Lieberman has in the past said Israel should assassinate Hamas' leadership, ignore the moderate Palestinian president and walk away from international peace efforts. His ideas do not necessarily carry weight, but Rice defended the decision to meet with him.

"I'm going to enlist the support of anybody I can to try and move forward a Palestinian state living at peace side by side with Israel," Rice said. "That is the goal here."

Rice tried to lower expectations for talks meant to help frame possible peace initiatives for Bush's remaining two years in office. Various ideas under consideration would rearrange elements of a U.S.-backed peace plan dormant since its release in 2003.

Rice said the United States wants to "accelerate" the peace plan, but she has not given specifics.

The plan envisions a three-stage, three-year program to create an independent Palestinian state in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip. The step-by-step approach seeks specific concessions from both sides before moving to new issues, meaning it quickly can bog down if the conditions are not met.

Before Rice arrived, Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni had seemed to endorse the notion of skipping some of the elements of the plan's first phase and jumping to the second phase, which would set up a placeholder state with temporary borders.

Livni gave a much vaguer description of that idea in a session with Rice on Saturday. Although Rice has not ruled it out, she has not explained how it would fit into the overall deal.

Palestinian officials in recent weeks have grown wary of the idea, believing it would enable Israel to usurp much of the West Bank, where Israel continues to build Jewish settlements.

"We oppose any temporary solutions, including a transitional stage, because we do not see it as a realistic option," Abbas told a news conference in Ramallah after meeting with Rice.

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak wrote the White House questioning whether the peace plan has outlived its usefulness and offering a counterproposal.

A presidential spokesman did not describe Mubarak's proposal, but said the Egyptian leader would discuss it when Rice visits on Monday.

Copyright © 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
Copyright © 2007 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
Questions or Comments
Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright/IP Policy - Ad Feedback
Docsmitter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: the u.s. and israel are so good to the palestinians Reply with quote
jusdeadphunky wrote:

A proposed $85 million grant to train and equip the historically troubled security service loyal to Abbas would come with strings attached, Rice said. Abbas promised the money would not be misused.

Yah okay

jusdeadphunky wrote:
The dispute has alarmed some of Abbas' Arab neighbors, including Jordan's King Abdullah II. Abdullah has warned of the possibility of three civil wars in the Middle East — in Iraq, the Palestinian territories and Lebanon — and asked for renewed U.S. diplomacy.

I love how they ask for US interferance, in paying bills that is. And once we arrive tell us to fuck off.[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jusdeadphunky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: the u.s. and israel are so good to the palestinians Reply with quote
Docsmitter wrote:
jusdeadphunky wrote:

Yah okay

jusdeadphunky wrote:

I love how they ask for US interferance, in paying bills that is. And once we arrive tell us to fuck off.
[/quote]

they need that assistance because israel has denied them the funds needed to pay government workers after the people of palestine democratically elected hamas to represent them.

what this article details is i lot of bullshit that makes it seem that israel, the u.s. and abbas are looking out for the best interests of the palestinians. this is not the case.
Nesta13Maldini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken isn't Israel a Jewish state? Correct me if I'm wrong please Rolling Eyes
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Was that related to something I missed?
Nesta13Maldini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll wrote:

Not really but I just didn't want to make a topic that would only answer one question so I thought I would post it here. That's all.
jusdeadphunky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nesta13Maldini wrote:

Not really but I just didn't want to make a topic that would only answer one question so I thought I would post it here. That's all.

i am pretty sure that judiasm is the religion of isreal but it is not state imposed, if that makes sense. there are israeli arabs and christians.
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jusdeadphunky wrote:
Nesta13Maldini wrote:

i am pretty sure that judiasm is the religion of isreal but it is not state imposed, if that makes sense. there are israeli arabs and christians.

It's not state imposed, but it's very difficult to immigrate for non-Jews. And by non-Jews, I mean anyone who can't show at least one grandparent was an Orthodox Jew, the (to take a guess) 90% of American Jews who are Conservative, Reform, or godforbid Reconstructionist don't count.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Liberals Versus Conservatives Forum Index // Liberals Versus Conservatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: