Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Superman vs Al Gore

Home // Evolution Versus Creationism

edmundshabit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Superman vs Al Gore Reply with quote
Pitting evolution against creation is like watching a battle between Superman and Al Gore. It may seem one has the upper hand against the other, but in all actuality the fight cannot even take place. For either entity to really attack the other is ludicrous simply because there is no harm one can actually do the other.
Evolutionist are people who base there knowledge on what can be considered fact. People who put their money on creation don’t need facts. What they have is faith-based. Unfortunately for people who use evolution as a weapon against creation, it doesn’t work. If someone is really sold on the whole “God” thing, then no amount of caveman skulls and layers of rock will convince them. Unfortunately for the people who use creation as a weapon against evolution, it doesn’t work that way either. If someone is sold on evolution then it’s going to take more than “the Bible said it” to convince them otherwise. The two are different possibilities of the origin of life, but no one will ever know for sure. We’ll never dig up a bone or a fossilized fern leaf and say “Ah-ha! God does/doesn’t exist!”
I have a real problem with religion being used as a weapon anyway. I am a Christian, and probably would be considered a fundamental one by some people. But I believe the real problem with Christianity is that it’s supposed to be an inward thing. Of course the core principals of Christianity are to love God and to love others before yourself. But Christians want to go around pointing fingers, burning witches, and bombing abortion clinics. Paul’s letter to the Romans says “all have sinned.” and we forget that each of us individually are included in the word “all”. So when you start focusing on changing yourself that’s where the power of Christianity comes alive. When you use it to force everyone else to live as you say and not as you do, and when you use it promote an agenda, or to look down your nose at the “sinners” around you, you’ve missed the point, and your faith is a waste of time. My beliefs are my own. If you want to know what they are, I’ll tell you. If you don’t, it’s none of my business cramming it down your throat. Jesus didn’t do business that way. I won’t either. So when it comes to evolution, I wish Christians would stop trying to force people to teach about Adam and Eve because it doesn’t benefit anyone. Not you. Not them.
I also have a hard time believing that if evolution is true then there was no one who organized it in the first place; that there isn’t some sort of something guiding us down the right way. So I find fault with those also who think evolution in itself will bring down religion. I think some people who support evolution have a definite agenda against faith. They fear that acknowledging a higher power would also acknowledge a set of moral truths, which would acknowledge that there is no moral relativism. They are afraid of being wrong. In doing so they have closed their minds to religion as a whole, just as some of those who are religious have closed their mind to science.
Isn’t it possible to find common ground and end the argument once and for all. Isn’t it possible that God created using something like evolution? C.S. Lewis outlined an idea like that in the final chapters of “Mere Christianity”. I’m just saying, the argument is pointless. Neither side will ever convince the other. Neither party has any means of attacking the other. Neither has anything to gain from destroying the other except a little more unneeded self-righteousness.
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think evolution will bring down religion. I think the internet will bring down religion...

Quote:

People's fascination for religion and superstition will disappear within a few decades as television and the internet make it easier to get information, and scientists get closer to discovering a final theory of everything, leading thinkers argue today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/scie.....amp;feed=1

Check out this article, it is interesting...
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome edmund, hows narnia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Evolution Versus Creationism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1