Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Sen. John McCain/Barak Hussein Obama matter...

Home // Liberal Corner

john_quincy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Sen. John McCain/Barak Hussein Obama matter... Reply with quote
I John Quincy, am a Conservative of sorts, and would to get the views of some Liberals on a subject I recently shared. It involved the concern of those who questioned John McCain citizenship. And ultimatly seemed to draw alot of attention to whether He was a legit Candidate for Pres. On the other hand the issue of Sen. Barak Hussien Obama's, Muslim name seem to draw sneers when the question to his Islamic roots raised concerns. Finally, I just wanted to share a thought that comes to mind when a person with a Muslim name is running for the office of President in the U.S. The analogy I presented was this: A person born and raised in a predominately Muslim country and raised in the Islamic faith and is running for the office of Head of State. Let's say in Iraq, who has family and ancestral ties with the U.S. and was given the name, George Washington Smith. How do you think the people of Iraq will handle this? Sincerely, John Quincy
Toxic
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
How will the people of Iraq handle our President's name?

That's all you can come up with?
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Sen. John McCain/Barak Hussein Obama matter... Reply with quote
john_quincy wrote:
Finally, I just wanted to share a thought that comes to mind when a person with a Muslim name

It's his father's name, specifically. His father, who was not a muslim radical.

On the other hand, consider the governor of california. His name is austrian. His father was a nazi. Where's your concern there?

Quote:

A person born and raised in a predominately Muslim country and raised in the Islamic faith and is running for the office of Head of State.

He was born in hawaii. He spent 4 years in indonesia, and the rest of his childhood in hawaii.

He was raised primarily by his mother, who is not a muslim.

What if he was a muslim, though? So what?

Quote:

Let's say in Iraq, who has family and ancestral ties with the U.S. and was given the name, George Washington Smith. How do you think the people of Iraq will handle this?

I really don't know.

What i'd wonder is, how is that relevent to a united states election? Do you think that americans should act like iraqis?
Number29

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Really? Reply with quote
Ok...so you know he's not a muslim right? He's a Christian. With that said...

I was recently in the Netherlands and talking to a business associate of mine. He was telling me a story about how people in India were impressed by the Americans having someone with a name like Hussien running for president let alone African American brought up by a single white mother and his grandparents.

So I guess that's the best example I can give you of any kind of international opinion. Other than contacts I have in parts of the world like the UK, Australia, Ghana, Canada, Bolivia, South Korea and others said that their faith in the US that has been lost in the past 6 years would be redeemed by the American people's judgement to elect Senator Obama.

As for the Iraqi's I don't think they think about names that much these days...
Timetheos
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
It involved the concern...

I hate these stupid concern trolls.
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
john_quincy wrote:
The analogy I presented was this: A person born and raised in a predominately Muslim country and raised in the Islamic faith and is running for the office of Head of State. Let's say in Iraq, who has family and ancestral ties with the U.S. and was given the name, George Washington Smith. How do you think the people of Iraq will handle this?

JQ is seeking an answer of the sort "the people of iraq would shun the candidate" but his analogy simply points out that he has made up his mind already - he seems to believe that because, perhaps, some other people would find fault with the ludicrous suggetion that a name equates to the person, it is reasonable for him to find fault. Well, the answer is: it is not. JQ and others only fool themselves when they find fault in a middle name, what they really can not do is look at themselves in the mirror and truth and understand it is their own prejudice they are trying to find an answer for.
Spartacus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd rather have a foaming at the mouth, schizo, illiterate, 12 year old muslim running this country than Bush or someone who will follow in his footsteps such as McCorpse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Liberal Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1