Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Secular Bible studies may be coming to a school near you!

Home // Evolution Versus Creationism




 
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Anym
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 07 Dec 2006
Posts: 2562
Location: Jersey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Secular Bible studies may be coming to a school near you! Reply with quote
http://www.time.com/time/magaz.....45,00.html

I'm a little worried about how this is going to go down.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ha-ha, 'secular bible studies'. Good one. I'm sure that's exactly what's going to happen in most states. I mean, no one would ever bend the rules to preach to children in public schools, right?
Back to top
chevydriver1123
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 946
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
God I hope this doesnt pass
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 4650

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
"And this children is where God contradicts himse-*sniper gun bullet to the chest*- I... thought... it... was... se..cu..la......"
Back to top
chevydriver1123
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 17 Dec 2006
Posts: 946
Location: New York

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
"And this children is where God contradicts himse-*sniper gun bullet to the chest*- I... thought... it... was... se..cu..la......"



BOOM! HEAD SHOT!
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 4650

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That was a great video.
Back to top
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 988
Location: North Carolina, USA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Bigotry Reply with quote
If you didn't know what Muhammad taught and what's in the Koran, it seems to me that you could offer a class to impart that knowledge, and I suspect the naysayers here would recognize the difference between teaching about the Koran and indoctrinating people in Islam. Why then should it be any different with the Bible?
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bigotry Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:
If you didn't know what Muhammad taught and what's in the Koran, it seems to me that you could offer a class to impart that knowledge,


Like, say, history class?

That's where they taught it to us around here (massachusetts).

Quote:

and I suspect the naysayers here would recognize the difference between teaching about the Koran and indoctrinating people in Islam. Why then should it be any different with the Bible?


Oh, sure, if we could teach students about christianity and the bible in a completely unbiased fashion, i'd have no problems with that.

That's not likely going to happen, though.
Back to top
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 988
Location: North Carolina, USA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bigotry Reply with quote
exton wrote:
TrespassersW wrote:
If you didn't know what Muhammad taught and what's in the Koran, it seems to me that you could offer a class to impart that knowledge,...

Like, say, history class?
That's where they taught it to us around here (massachusetts).

TrespassersW wrote:
...and I suspect the naysayers here would recognize the difference between teaching about the Koran and indoctrinating people in Islam. Why then should it be any different with the Bible?

Oh, sure, if we could teach students about christianity and the bible in a completely unbiased fashion, i'd have no problems with that.
That's not likely going to happen, though.

Well, I can't speak for history class in Mass, but in NY they taught us of the Koran; that it existed, and not much more. But I think it was clear that I meant a class on the Koran comparable to the one about the Bible that is/was being discussed. I can virtually guarantee that you didn't learn that depth of info about the Koran in any generic "history" class.

And as to whether such a Bible class would be taught in an "unbiased fashion;" that would be ideal, if course. But should we dismiss the idea purely because it might be done badly? Everything can be done badly; if that's an argument against allowing the teaching of this class, it's an argument against the teaching of any class on any subject.

Clearly your knee-jerk reaction is to assume that no one would choose to teach about the Bible without an agenda of spreading "the good word." Why? The Bible is an element of human history; it has had a profound impact on human societies and on countless individuals. From a purely historical point of view it is a very important, and for some interesting, topic. In college, I wrote a paper on the historical Jesus. The fact that I was raised as a Christian made the paper no less historical and no less valid, and frankly the presumption that it would be otherwise seems to me to be, if not bigotry, then a close relative thereof.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Bigotry Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:

Clearly your knee-jerk reaction is to assume that no one would choose to teach about the Bible without an agenda of spreading "the good word."


Well, i'm glad one of us knows what i'm thinking, because heaven knows it couldn't be me!

Eh.

No, that's not my immediate response.

My immediate response is that those most interested in teaching about the bible likely have in mind the spreading of the good word.

But more than that, i'm concerned because this sort of thing is already used as an excuse to preach in classrooms.

Something that makes me even more inclined to believe it won't be taught well is the nature of what good teaching would involve. A thorough teaching of any work of literature involves criticism of it and, especially with ancient works, an examination of the environmental and sociological themes that reveal themselves in the work.

There are many books that you can get away with removing the magic from, but i don't think the bible is one of them.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 4650

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here in australia we have a subject called "Study Of Religon", it's supposed to be a research into all major religons, and yet being critical is almost forbidden.
Back to top
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 988
Location: North Carolina, USA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bigotry Reply with quote
exton wrote:
TrespassersW wrote:

Clearly your knee-jerk reaction is to assume that no one would choose to teach about the Bible without an agenda of spreading "the good word."

My immediate response is that those most interested in teaching about the bible likely have in mind the spreading of the good word.

You say "knee-ther," I say "nigh-ther."
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let's ignore the rest of my post!

But more than that, i'm concerned because this sort of thing is already used as an excuse to preach in classrooms.

Something that makes me even more inclined to believe it won't be taught well is the nature of what good teaching would involve. A thorough teaching of any work of literature involves criticism of it and, especially with ancient works, an examination of the environmental and sociological themes that reveal themselves in the work.

There are many books that you can get away with removing the magic from, but i don't think the bible is one of them.
Back to top


Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Evolution Versus Creationism All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google

Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites Politics Blogs Politics
Politics blogs Politics blogs Article Directory Political Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Top Blog Sites