Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Science Debate 2008

Home // Liberals Versus Conservatives

chevydriver1123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Science Debate 2008 Reply with quote
So far only Obama has given answers. His answers are pretty decent with the exception of education and health care. He does not address the teacher's union at all in regards to this since its widely accepted fact that the teacher's union is a part of the huge problem with the public education system. In regards to health care he does not mention any of the other factors that go into high health care costs.

http://www.sciencedebate2008.c......php?id=40
cornopean
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Science Debate 2008 Reply with quote
chevydriver1123 wrote:
So far only Obama has given answers. His answers are pretty decent with the exception of education and health care. He does not address the teacher's union at all in regards to this since its widely accepted fact that the teacher's union is a part of the huge problem with the public education system. In regards to health care he does not mention any of the other factors that go into high health care costs.

http://www.sciencedebate2008.c......php?id=40

The federal govt has no business doing anything AT ALL about health care. It aint in the list of responsibilities that the constitution assigns to Congress. So from the perspective of the constitution, presidential candidates shouldn't say ANYTHING about health care since it isn't there issue. Well....Ok.... the candidates should tell us how they are going to dismantle the FDA and eliminate all federal laws that pertain to health care. The states can make whatever laws they want. The federal govt should stick to defense.

but since this is all a pipe dream.....I will point out that it is McCain who is championing HSAs, not Barack. and HSAs are the salvation of the American health care system.

Barack wants to be like Canada. yea!! watch this vid and learn how animals get better care in Canada than people.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=refrYKq9tZQ
in fact, watch the whole series. and Chevy should like this vid especially since Stossel is not a social conservative.
Toxic
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Science Debate 2008 Reply with quote
Quote:
and HSAs are the salvation of the American health care system.

HSAs are the salvation of younger and/or healthier individuals, while they are the bane of cheap health coverage for anyone else. They destroy participation in health insurance—who pays into an insurance they can't possibly need when they have an HSA with unlimited saved up funds that have rolled over for years—thus raising the prices of those who depend on insurance, like the elderly, the poor, and the tend-to-be-sick crowd. Sure, it'd be great for someone like me, a young healthy college student, but I don't want a system that doesn't benefit everyone, and I especially don't want a system that flat-out screws some people to benefit other groups of people.

Quote:
Barack wants to be like Canada.

No. You want Barack to want our health care to be like Canada, because then you can throw up a standard set of defenses like you always do. This is called a straw man. We want a health care system that takes the best of all of the world's best health care systems (take a look at the Germany especially, what a great health care system).
cornopean
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Science Debate 2008 Reply with quote
Toxic wrote:

HSAs are the salvation of younger and/or healthier individuals, while they are the bane of cheap health coverage for anyone else. They destroy participation in health insurance—who pays into an insurance they can't possibly need when they have an HSA with unlimited saved up funds that have rolled over for years—thus raising the prices of those who depend on insurance, like the elderly, the poor, and the tend-to-be-sick crowd. Sure, it'd be great for someone like me, a young healthy college student, but I don't want a system that doesn't benefit everyone, and I especially don't want a system that flat-out screws some people to benefit other groups of people.

First you are right that HSAs reward healthy people. Any successful health care system MUST create an incentive to be healthy. Then people take responsibility for their own health. they eat right, exercise, get checkups, etc.
There also must be an incentive to stay away from the doctor unless you really need him.

Govt health insurance removes the incentive to stay healthy. It also removes the incentive to stay away from the doc. People will go to the hospital for any reason whatever.

but how would HSAs hurt unhealthy people? I understand an HSA to be two parts:
1. High deductible insurance;
2. and a tax free savings acct only for health purposes

OK so if you have a serious health condition, you pay the deductible and then you are covered. I see no problem here for unhealthy people.

Quote:

Quote:
Barack wants to be like Canada.

No. You want Barack to want our health care to be like Canada...

I dare you to watch those videos.

at any rate, how is Barack's health care plan different from Canada's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Liberals Versus Conservatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1