Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Pillow angel

Home // Evolution Versus Creationism



Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic
Author Message
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 4650

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I completely disagree, I am pro-choice, but I still take in the *potential* for human life into my decision, just like if you were going to close down a power station because no-one wanted solar power and you knew coal prices were about to go up, you wouldn't close it, because in the future it will make more money.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
I completely disagree, I am pro-choice, but I still take in the *potential* for human life into my decision, just like if you were going to close down a power station because no-one wanted solar power and you knew coal prices were about to go up, you wouldn't close it, because in the future it will make more money.


That is an instance of economic cost analysis. If you applied the same concepts to people (their net worth, in resources or dollar figures, to society), you'd be surprised how often it would be best to put someone down.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 4650

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
But there are more important things than money.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In which case your comparison to fuel costs is not relevent to the matter at hand.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 4650

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is relevant, the potential for future gain outweighs the present loss, in both situations.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's apples and oranges lester. You've got to use the same cost-benefit analysis methodologies in both, otherwise your analogy is invalid.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 4650

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Perhaps you should instead view it as a metaphor then.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, it would be a valid metaphor.

But then, it would be a bad metaphor too, for the aforementioned reasons.
Back to top
CustomFordGirl
Known Associate
Known Associate


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Location: Greensburg, PA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
It is relevant, the potential for future gain outweighs the present loss, in both situations.


I see what you were saying.. the point was never about money.
Back to top
CustomFordGirl
Known Associate
Known Associate


Joined: 13 Jan 2007
Posts: 446
Location: Greensburg, PA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
Well, it would be a valid metaphor.

But then, it would be a bad metaphor too, for the aforementioned reasons.

It was a good metaphor.. you just have to think outside the box. Now how about we get to discussing the Pillow Angel, huh?

Was it right or not what her parents had done to her?
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CustomFordGirl wrote:

It was a good metaphor.. you just have to think outside the box.


You often can't apply economics to morality and expect to get results that will make you feel comfortable. Hence, my objection to the metaphor.

Quote:

Now how about we get to discussing the Pillow Angel, huh?

Was it right or not what her parents had done to her?


Neither. I don't think that right and wrong can apply to such a girl, not the way that they normally would. Without a conscious mind, she's little more morally relevent than the degree to which other people care about her.

I can see the logic in the solution that the parents chose, and i think that it was a good one based on their goals (keeping the girl alive and healthy).

I think their goals are misguided, however; their desire to keep the girl around is based on a trully irrational emotional attachment. I don't think it's really proper to leave the girl alive at all.

That's not to say that emotional attachments are unimportant. But there comes a time when you've got to be able to let go. Life doesn't always work out the way a person might want it to.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 4650

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
In communism economics and morality is combined, thats why I like it so much.

but to the subject at hand, I think it would be right if it were reversible, but the fact that it's not causes me to question whether the parents truly had the childs best interests in mind, or if they had their own, what parent wouldn't want the chance to keep their child yound and innocent for eternity?
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
In communism economics and morality is combined, thats why I like it so much.


Then it may be that you don't understand the economics part.
Back to top
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Posts: 4650

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
Lester wrote:
In communism economics and morality is combined, thats why I like it so much.


Then it may be that you don't understand the economics part.


From each according to their ability, to each according to their need, it's not too difficult.
Back to top
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 4218

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need, it's not too difficult.


Oh, it's easy in principle. Not quite so simple in execution. The economy is a rather complex thing; micromanaging it...doesn't work out well.
Back to top


Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Evolution Versus Creationism All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google

Politics Blogs - Blog Top Sites Politics Blogs Politics
Politics blogs Politics blogs Article Directory Political Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory Top Blog Sites