Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Never reelect your Congressman of either party

Home // Government Watch

nels961

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Never reelect your Congressman of either party Reply with quote
Our country is in serious political trouble.

It all comes back to Congress, both houses, both parties, and the lazy American voter.

We were given a great Constitution which worked reasonably well for nearly 200 years, until the politicos learned how to game the system and get reelected forever, and the complacent American voters let them get away with it.

I believe that MOST Americans are honest, responsible citizens who want to do the common sense right thing when it comes to government. But their misguided loyalty to party and/or candidate has gotten us into trouble.

I also believe that all elective office (especially Congress!) should be a short term civic duty, NOT a career job. Tenure corrupts!

Therefore, all Americans should be persuaded to NEVER REELECT INCUMBENTS, and to always vote for the preferred challenger. If this strategy would be followed for a few election cycles, we would clean out all the professional career politicians from Congress who are owned by the special interests, to make room for citizen legislators who have not yet
been tainted, and who will not serve long enough to get tainted, if we NEVER REELECT INCUMBENTS

In this way, our citizens will create a de facto Congressional Term Limits, and destroy
the aristocratic corrupt political class which has taken permanent hold of our Congress.
Toxic
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Or you could not be so extreme and take each incumbent on a case-by-case basis. If your Congressperson has become corrupt because they've been in office, vote them out. If not, enjoy the fact that you have a decent member of Congress representing you.
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm not in complete disagreement with nels, I know the records of my Congressional representatives, so I am an informed voter on those offices. Now, my state representatives/local representatives I have found it more difficult to get clear information on their record or positions sometimes. In the case where I am faced with voting for an "unknown candidate", I will give the challenger the benefit and vote against the incumbent.

I believe it is best to know the candidate you are putting in office and know the incumbent who is in office. But, given our information overload society and the general laziness of most American voters, if I were to endorse a One-Step Voting Process for the Politically Impaired (1SVPPI), I would endorse this plan: find the incumbents name and vote for his/her challenger.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Government Watch All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1