Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

Man tests faith against river; the river wins
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Man tests faith against river; the river wins Reply with quote
Quote:
(August 2006, Libreville, Gabon) In August, a congregation's 35-year old pastor insisted one could literally walk on water, if only one had enough faith. Big and bold was his speech. He extolled the heavenly power possessed by a faithful man with such force that he may well have convinced himself.

Whether or not he believed in his heart, his sermons left room for only shame should he leave his own faith untested. Thus, the pastor set out to walk across a major estuary (a wide part of a river), the path of a 20-minute ferry ride. But the man could not swim.

If you're wondering: yes, this is a darwin award.

http://www.darwinawards.com/da.....06-02.html
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh darwin awards, how you warm my heart.
chevydriver1123
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
ha ha
Oolon Colluphid
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
rotflmao!!

His_Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oolon Colluphid wrote:
rotflmao!!

Anyone can do anything if they have absolutely no doubt at all that they can do it. Example: everyone knows the story of Jesus walking on water, one of his disciples followed out to great him the reason he could walk on water was since he saw someone doing it, he assumed he could too. He had no doubt, but then he looks down and realized what he is doing (walking on water) and panicked/got scared. He then had doubt and fell into the water. But Jesus pulled him back up, the Man could not walk on water since he had some doubt of it
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
His_Princess wrote:

Anyone can do anything if they have absolutely no doubt at all that they can do it.

And on what physical principle to you base the opinion that a man can nullify the laws of the universe using nothing other than the power of his mind?

Or better yet, what reason do you have to think this at all?

And i, for one, have walked on water.
It just so happens that the water was, at the time, colder than 32 degrees fahrenheit.
His_Princess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know when a person has some sort of accident and they are told they canít walk. But they believe they can, they work on it and end up walking. But if they just assume the doctors right and donít try they never walk again. Or a football player is told he sucks and will never make it? Its called believing in yourself its basically like that believing one can do it. How do I know this? I thought it was common sense and everyone knew it. Honestly Iím really not looking for an argument either agree or disagree but donít try to change my opinion which is what this is I never said it was a fact.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
His_Princess wrote:
You know when a person has some sort of accident and they are told they can’t walk. But they believe they can, they work on it and end up walking. But if they just assume the doctors right and don’t try they never walk again. Or a football player is told he sucks and will never make it? Its called believing in yourself its basically like that believing one can do it. How do I know this? I thought it was common sense and everyone knew it.

There's an important difference.

Improving one's game at football and recovering from a debilitating disease do not violate fundamental laws of the universe. It's both possible and plausible that you can do both of those things, if you work hard at it.

Walking on liquid water without the use of a flotation device is not the same: in order to do that, you need to defy either gravity or electromagnetism, both of which are physically impossible things to do.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you moved fast enough it would be possible...
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just read an article about a pastor who told a family that prayer would heal their child's throat cancer instead of medical methods. So the freakin family stopped the chemotherapy and cancer drugs in favor of prayer. The kid died now the family is suing the pastor.

Unbelievable world we live in...
CryxicKiller
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No offense, but opinions are meaningless unless they are backed by clear thinking and reasoning. The views of Princess are a bit dangerous, not just wrong. People do and have gotten hurt throughout history from believing rubbish like that. I sort of understand what you were aiming for Princess, but your conclusions were a tad ridiculous. Exton is right, kind of. I say "kind of" because technically it is possible to walk on water, but the probability that the atoms of a human body would not displace the atoms of the water is extremely low (from quantum mechanics). It would never happen in a human lifetime; you'd literally need to keep someone alive for an amount of time equivalent to the age of the Universe (around 14 billion years) trying to cross a river, but even then the probability of someone succeeding remains insanely low. And because the probability is insanely low at the macroscopic level, then we can safely assume that only the classical laws of physics mentioned by Exton apply.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
CryxicKiller wrote:
Exton is right, kind of. I say "kind of" because technically it is possible to walk on water, but the probability that the atoms of a human body would not displace the atoms of the water is extremely low (from quantum mechanics).

As with all things, the conclusion is tentative and based on probability.

I don't worry about getting hit by a meteor when i go outside, even though it's possible (and much more likely than walking on water).

So, could (by pure coicidence) the water molecules move such that they could support my weight just as i step onto them? Sure.

But my prediction is: they won't, regardless of the possibility that i could be wrong.

There are certain things that are just so improbable that they don't merit a "but" at the end of the sentence.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
The kid died now the family is suing the pastor.

They should do us all a favor and shoot themselves.

Plus, the pastor can't help it that they don't have the sense to ask a doctor for medical advice. Stupid people asking other stupid people for advice never works out well.
Oolon Colluphid
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
His_Princess wrote:

Anyone can do anything if they have absolutely no doubt at all that they can do it. Example: everyone knows the story of Jesus walking on water, one of his disciples followed out to great him the reason he could walk on water was since he saw someone doing it, he assumed he could too. He had no doubt, but then he looks down and realized what he is doing (walking on water) and panicked/got scared. He then had doubt and fell into the water. But Jesus pulled him back up, the Man could not walk on water since he had some doubt of it

... And you really believe this story as historical fact?

I can't believe you tried to use an example of Jesus disciple walking on water to back up a story of a guy who believed "faith" would help him walk on water. Rolling Eyes

It's beliefs in biblical stories as literal happenings that cause people to do these things in the first place.

Remember when the war in Iraq started?

Fundamental Christians started a silly thing called "operation prayer sheild" that was supposed to protect our soldiers and "win" the war..... Guess what?

Hey, this ones for you:

Oolon Colluphid
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:

They should do us all a favor and shoot themselves.

Plus, the pastor can't help it that they don't have the sense to ask a doctor for medical advice. Stupid people asking other stupid people for advice never works out well.

Talk about blind leading the blind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Atheism Versus Religion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3