Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
just how much oil is being extracted from the middle east?

Home // Liberal Corner

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Alex_the_Progressivist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject: just how much oil is being extracted from the middle east? Reply with quote
accordng the the seattle post, over 2 billion barrels a year, and after iraq would predictably stablize the region sufficiently for the corporations to decide when to extract more.

that's a lot of oil, even more money
Docsmitter
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: just how much oil is being extracted from the middle eas Reply with quote
Alex_the_Progressivist wrote:
accordng the the seattle post, over 2 billion barrels a year, and after iraq would predictably stablize the region sufficiently for the corporations to decide when to extract more.

that's a lot of oil, even more money

And as long as America wants to drive gas guzzlers oil will empower the middle east.
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
What does everyone think about minimum gas mileage legislation?
Docsmitter
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll wrote:

Damn good, Europe does it, and do you see Europe busting its nuts over the middle east.
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Docsmitter wrote:

Damn good, Europe does it, and do you see Europe busting its nuts over the middle east.
True. I first heard about it and was squeamish about the idea, but it's seeming better and better, and not any serious issue for the free market.
Docsmitter
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Docsmitter wrote:

True. I first heard about it and was squeamish about the idea, but it's seeming better and better, and not any serious issue for the free market.

It would actually improve the economay, bringing down gas prices, destroying alot of reliance on the middle east.

1. Stopping a huge flow of money into the countries, wanting to buy weapons for racial anhilations.
2. People have more money in their pockets for not wasting so much on gas, higher standard of living, more money to be spent on luxery.
Docsmitter
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The benifits outway the negative here, I don't see why it hasnt happend yet.
MissLisa
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I missed this idea... can you tell me what it is exactly??

Thank you
Mike
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would depend on actual numbers. Any idea what the minimum would be?
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
MissLisa wrote:

I think I missed this idea... can you tell me what it is exactly??

Thank you

I don't remember the exact numbers on it for Mike, but here's the basic idea, it's already been done in Europe.

The Government could require by law that every motor vehicle produced in the US meet a certain environmental standard for gas mileage. A target number would be set so that there's never a major jump at any one time, but by, say, 2025, every new car produced would be required to operate at a reasonably high efficiency standard. This doesn't cost car companies an excessive amount of money and, most likely, makes their products more attractive to consumers unhappy with steadily rising gas prices.

As of today, the state of California has tried repeatedly to introduce such a bill at the state level, but it has never been passed with the bar set at a useful level. And even the higher numbers proposed by the bill's authors would set the California gas mileage standard, even after 10 years, significantly lower than that of China or Great Britain. I think we have the technology to match the Chinese, don't you all?

Sorry I don't have numbers, I'll find my book on this and look it up when I have a chance.
MissLisa
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll
I don't remember the exact numbers on it for Mike, but here's the basic idea, it's already been done in Europe.

The Government could require by law that every motor vehicle produced in the US meet a certain environmental standard for gas mileage. A target number would be set so that there's never a major jump at any one time, but by, say, 2025, every new car produced would be required to operate at a reasonably high efficiency standard. This doesn't cost car companies an excessive amount of money and, most likely, makes their products more attractive to consumers unhappy with steadily rising gas prices.

As of today, the state of California has tried repeatedly to introduce such a bill at the state level, but it has never been passed with the bar set at a useful level. And even the higher numbers proposed by the bill's authors would set the California gas mileage standard, even after 10 years, significantly lower than that of China or Great Britain. I think we have the technology to match the Chinese, don't you all?

Sorry I don't have numbers, I'll find my book on this and look it up when I have a chance.

First let me thank you for the explanation.

If this is the case.. I don't understand why it is not law already! It sounds like a win/win situation for everyone (except maybe the oil tycoons). Of course some of those SUV's would become extinct... I really don't understand why we would shut down such a bill!

GM has already designed and are selling cars in Brazil that run completely off of ethanol. Yet, they said it was too expensive to bring and reproduce for the USA market. I can't quite figure that statement out. If it is already in brazil... why not just bring it here?
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cars don't run off ethanol completely, I think your information may be off, I'm pretty sure I would now if they did, half of my family farms sugar cane.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
Cars don't run off ethanol completely, I think your information may be off

They can. Ethanol is just like gasoline, only...not. It requires just a little tweaking to make a car run off it.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
MissLisa wrote:

If this is the case.. I don't understand why it is not law already! It sounds like a win/win situation for everyone (except maybe the oil tycoons).

Hehe - and that's exactly why it goes nowhere.

Quote:

GM has already designed and are selling cars in Brazil that run completely off of ethanol. Yet, they said it was too expensive to bring and reproduce for the USA market. I can't quite figure that statement out. If it is already in brazil... why not just bring it here?

Because brazil has already converted their energy infrastructure to use nothing but ethanol. They make all they need, and have the stuff necessary to distribute it.

Ethanol wouldn't work quite as well here. I don't think we can actually make enough to suit our needs.
MissLisa
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
exton

Because brazil has already converted their energy infrastructure to use nothing but ethanol. They make all they need, and have the stuff necessary to distribute it.

Ethanol wouldn't work quite as well here. I don't think we can actually make enough to suit our needs.

Sure it would.. ethanol doesn't have to just come from sugar.

Quote:
As many countries reexamine their dependence on petroleum fields for fuel, Brazil offers a model for how to make the switch to cane, beet, wheat, or corn fields. The successful transition here comes down to many factors, but price is the primary one, experts say.

Do you know how many Beat fields we have in Idaho alone or wheat fields in Iowa and corn grows just about anywhere!! We have plenty of land to produce enough ethanol to fuel our cars... even if they were a gas/ethanol mixture (since ethanol burns quicker than gas... and we Americans really are gas hogs lol)... it is doable and actually would put our farmers back in business. Win/win except for those pesky oil companies!! Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Liberal Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2