Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

Your Ad Here

Group seeks probe of evangelical military video

Some Chick
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Group seeks probe of evangelical military video Reply with quote
Group seeks probe of evangelical military video

By Kristin RobertsMon Dec 11, 3:32 PM ET

A watchdog group that promotes religious freedom in the U.S. military accused senior officers on Monday using their rank and influence to coerce soldiers and airmen into adopting evangelical Christianity.

Such proselytizing, according to the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, has created a core of "radical" Christians within the U.S. armed forces and Pentagon who punish those who do not accept evangelical beliefs by stalling their careers.

"It's egregious beyond the pale," said Mikey Weinstein, president and founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation. "We apparently have a radicalized, evangelical Christian Pentagon within the rest of the Pentagon."

The group asked the Pentagon's inspector general to investigate a video in which some Army and Air Force officers discuss their faith while in uniform.

According to the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, the video played for reporters was a promotional tool for Christian Embassy, a group that describes itself as a ministry helping national and international leaders blend faith and work.

The executive director of Christian Embassy, Bob Varney, did not respond to a request for comment.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the Defense Department does not endorse any religion or religious organization or judge the validity of religious expressions.

He confirmed the Defense Department inspector general, the Pentagon's internal watchdog agency, received the letter requesting the probe, but noted it was the inspector general's policy not to say whether an investigation had been opened.

"At this point it would be inappropriate to speculate as to what actions might be taken," Whitman said.

RELIGIOUS RECRUITING

The Military Religious Freedom Foundation said the officers on the video violated military rules by wearing their uniforms while discussing their religious beliefs, giving the appearance of official participation in a religious organization.

That appearance, according to the group, is particularly damaging in the military, where rank carries great influence.

"It associates the power of office with sectarian ideology," said MeLinda Morton, a Lutheran reverend and former Air Force chaplain who said her military career was hurt because she did not adopt evangelical views.

The religious freedom group also raised issues with the content of the video, including a comment from Air Force Maj. Gen. Jack Catton that he would discuss his faith with people who came to his Joint Staff directorate within the Pentagon.

Weinstein compared what he said was radical proselytizing within the military with the Islamist militants U.S. troops are confronting in wars overseas.

"When we're facing a global war on terror against what we call Islamic extremists, it certainly doesn't help when we have apparently a viewpoint from the cognoscenti and glitterati, the leadership of the Pentagon, pushing a particular virulent worldview down the throats of people who are helpless to argue against it," Weinstein said.

Copyright © 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in the content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon.
Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
jusdeadphunky
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
people need to learn about the middle ages. (a.k.a. "the dark ages")

a global feudal system is being created and people are willingly allowing the government to supress and censor information (lack of educated people like the dark ages, and they are asking the government to once again impose religion on the people (like how in the dark ages everyone had to follow a state imposed religion) peoples' desire to push religion on the masses stems from the hopeless situation being created by the government and corporations. what do people do when life hits rock bottom? they throw their hopes into religion which gives them an excuse for why life has gotten so bad and gives them hope that when they die, there is a better place waiting for them. think about how many people have lost their jobs and pensions in the past 8 years. look at wage growth the past 6 years. look at crime rates going up (a direct result of more poor people due to corporate greed and outsourcing). think about how many people have died or been injured in the war (also look at the fear mongering that sold the wars on the public).

this is all desperate shit. this causes people to embrase religion. this makes them feel there is a need to push religion on everyone, to save the country. people are incapable of remembering the lessons of the past. history is almost as truthful as math. we may not know the exact details of events, but we know the end results. history needs to be considered and consulted. if people only would do this, think about how much better the world could be.
Oolon Colluphid
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jusdeadphunky,
It's off topic a bit, but I would argue that in recent year’s atheism and agnosticism has actually grown in numbers in the U.S. While I don't have any polled source or study for why I think this, I've been involved with the subject of religion/atheism for some time now and I'm seeing a change in the number of people on the internet that agree with the possibility that there is not a creator, or at the very least, that there may not be. I've had more discussions with people outside of the 'virtual world' also who seem to be growing in numbers that are not taking such a hostile stance towards the possibility.

I actually feel that it has to do with exactly what you've stated as the reason why people are going to religion. I think that the moderate xtian voters who had so much hope in G.W.B, God, and their party has been greatly disappointed. This may be leading to a rethinking of philosophy by people who are normally the followers of popular thought rather than 'free-thinkers’, to use the term lightly.
jusdeadphunky
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oolon Colluphid wrote:
jusdeadphunky,
It's off topic a bit, but I would argue that in recent year’s atheism and agnosticism has actually grown in numbers in the U.S. While I don't have any polled source or study for why I think this, I've been involved with the subject of religion/atheism for some time now and I'm seeing a change in the number of people on the internet that agree with the possibility that there is not a creator, or at the very least, that there may not be. I've had more discussions with people outside of the 'virtual world' also who seem to be growing in numbers that are not taking such a hostile stance towards the possibility.

I actually feel that it has to do with exactly what you've stated as the reason why people are going to religion. I think that the moderate xtian voters who had so much hope in G.W.B, God, and their party has been greatly disappointed. This may be leading to a rethinking of philosophy by people who are normally the followers of popular thought rather than 'free-thinkers’, to use the term lightly.

i agree with you. it just seems to me that more people are turning to faith and i am big on using history as a crystal ball.

somewhat along the same lines is that because of all the scandals in the GOP, the momentum that the evangelicals built up seems to have fizzled.
chevydriver1123
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
jusdeadphunky wrote:
Oolon Colluphid wrote:
jusdeadphunky,

i agree with you. it just seems to me that more people are turning to faith and i am big on using history as a crystal ball.

somewhat along the same lines is that because of all the scandals in the GOP, the momentum that the evangelicals built up seems to have fizzled.

We can only hope that it continues to fizzle. Evangelicals are dangerous to a society full of multiple religions.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
chevydriver1123 wrote:
Evangelicals are dangerous to a society full of multiple religions.

Not all evangelicals. Just the ones who are insane (namely, most of them).

After all, jimmy carter is an evangelical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Government Watch All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1