Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Great Barrier Reef could die by 2050!!

Home // Liberal Corner

Some Chick
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Great Barrier Reef could die by 2050!! Reply with quote
UPDATED ON:
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 02, 2007
13:02 MECCA TIME, 10:02 GMT
Barrier reef 'could die by 2050'
ALJAZEERA

Australia's Great Barrier Reef, the world's largest living organism, could become "functionally extinct" by 2050 due global warming, the report by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has said.

The landmark study warns rising temperatures could see prolonged drought and billions going hungry around the world.

An Australian climate change expert meanwhile has said he sees a 10 per cent change of a "truly catastrophic" hike in temperatures.

The IPCC report combines the findings of about 800 scientists around the world and is one of the most significant updates on the issue in recent years.

A chapter on Australia in the report warns that coral bleaching in the Barrier Reef is likely to become an annual occurrence by as early as 2030 due to warmer, more acidic seas.

Bleaching occurs when the plant-like organisms that make up coral die and leave behind the white limestone skeleton of the reef.

Fragile biodiversity
Climatologists say Australia is suffering an "accelerated climate change", putting the Barrier Reef's corals at particular risk.

The Barrier Reef, a world heritage site, stretches over more than 345,000 sq km off Australia's northeast coast and underpins a tourism industry worth an estimated $4.5 bn a year.

The Australian government, which is pushing hard for nuclear-powered electricity generation, is under pressure to take more immediate action to combat climate change.
Commenting on the IPCC findings, Tim Flannery, an Australian scientist and climate change expert, said the report was a conservative take on rising temperatures, but could be a useful benchmark to tackle global warming.

"The actual trajectory we've seen in the arctic over the last two years if you follow that, that implies that the arctic ice cap will be gone in the next 5 to 15 years," he told Australian radio.

Flannery predicted a much worse scenario.

"It could be worse than this. There's a 10 per cent chance of truly catastrophic rises in temperatures, so we're looking there at six degrees [Celsius] or so… a disaster for all life on earth.

"We will lose somewhere between two out of every 10 and six out of every 10 species living on the planet at that level of warming.

"It will set in train a series of climate consequences that will run for a thousand years."

He also brushed off the IPCC's use of the words "very likely" in relation to climate change having a human footprint.

"I don't think that that's an issue for debate any more. It's our problem, we have to do something about it," he said.

"We have the tools, we're so far we're lacking the will."
Source: Agencies
Some Chick
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is such a tragedy. I'm ashamed of mankind for letting it get this far Crying or Very sad
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is being going for a long long time, the two greatest sources of life in the world, the amazon and the great barrier reef are both being systematically destroyed, this is not a good thing.
Moses3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not very informed about the reef. Wondering what it provides for humanity? Will this make a difference to my life in anyway?

From what I know, I don't think so. How long has that thing been around? Quite a while I'm guessing. All organisms have to die at sometime. That's life. It's gonna happen to you, gonna happen to me. In 2050, it could happen to that reef.
Mike
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moses3 wrote:
I am not very informed about the reef. Wondering what it provides for humanity? Will this make a difference to my life in anyway?

From what I know, I don't think so. How long has that thing been around? Quite a while I'm guessing. All organisms have to die at sometime. That's life. It's gonna happen to you, gonna happen to me. In 2050, it could happen to that reef.

The reef provides nothing but aesthetic beauty, but in this modern world, so little beauty is left. While it is true that everything dies some time eventually, we can do what we can to slow down the progress, but the minute it infringes on peoples' rights, screw it. People always, always, always come before plants and animals.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
While Mike is right, it does provide aesthetic beauty, and people are mostly against helping plants and animals above themselves(something I mostly agree with, when we fix humanities problems, then we can worry about the rest of the species) the reef does actually serve a practical use. It is second only to the amazon in the diversity of life that lives among the coral, and the more species of animal in the world, the better for humanity, because lots of them contain the cures to diseases and new substances that can be used in a variety of ways.

I agree though, there is far too little beauty, and that is also a problem for humanity, most people have trouble with their ordinary lives and go camping to see the forests or something, what will they do when the forests are all gone?? Me personally, I don't like nature that much, it's pretty to look at, but I much prefer downtown in a busy city, the feeling, the multitude of people, the buildings, the hustle and bustle, thats beauty enough for me, but mebbe i'm just a people person.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Liberal Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1