Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

Your Ad Here

Gas Prices
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

gorudy08

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Gas Prices Reply with quote
Okay we need a HUGE change now. I think we need to start heading up to Alaska now!!!!!!! If not prices are going be at like 5 bucks a gallon in the summer though out the country!!!!! Now yes we should care about the environment so can't we like plant a billion trees in regards of going to Alaska for oil? Not everyone is going go out and buy a hybrid tomorrow to help lower gas prices. I just want something major to change about gas prices. Oh yeah big debate going on tonight on Fox! I hope that issue comes up and I hear some good ideas.
thelast007
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
we have to cancel the membership to the gym and walk or make more money to feed bp and exon.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices Reply with quote
gorudy08 wrote:
Okay we need a HUGE change now. I think we need to start heading up to Alaska now!!!!!!! If not prices are going be at like 5 bucks a gallon in the summer though out the country!!!!!

Drilling in alaska would not yield any oil for 6 years. And even after that, it's effects on prices would be questionable. And it wouldn't last long - there isn't a whole lot up there.

Quote:

Now yes we should care about the environment so can't we like plant a billion trees in regards of going to Alaska for oil?

No. The loss of trees isn't a problem. It's the loss of the ecosystem - the unique group of life forms and the way that they live and interact with each other.

You can't replace an ecosystem.

Quote:

Not everyone is going go out and buy a hybrid tomorrow to help lower gas prices.

Or drive less, or use less electricity, or less plastic, but yeah, i get your point. Shameful, isn't it? There was once a time when americans sacrificed a little for the good of civilization.

Quote:

I just want something major to change about gas prices. Oh yeah big debate going on tonight on Fox! I hope that issue comes up and I hear some good ideas.

You won't hear any good ideas on the matter, and i doubt you'd recognize such a good idea if one hit you in the face.
fellfire
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices Reply with quote
gorudy08 wrote:
I just want something major to change about gas prices. Oh yeah big debate going on tonight on Fox! I hope that issue comes up and I hear some good ideas.

It will change, there is a tipping point where oil becomes as expensive, or more expensive, then other forms of energy. When that piont is reached capitalism will step in. Money will change things. That's what always changes things.

Forget ever going back to sub-$2 gasoline, it ain't going to happen. Hell, you might as well forget going back to sub-$3 gasoline. There is too much money to be made in high gas prices. But the point where the consumer feels the economic incentive to conserve/change their habits is approaching.

You'll know it's working when the dealers start cutting the prices on the drug, i.e. OPEC and oil nations start dropping the price of oil. For the oil nations, it behooves them to find the maximum price we will pay for oil but not feel the pinch enough to feel the need to develop alternate fuels.
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices Reply with quote
exton wrote:
No. The loss of trees isn't a problem. It's the loss of the ecosystem - the unique group of life forms and the way that they live and interact with each other.

How does a footprint of roughly 2,000 acres destroy an ecosystem measuring over 19,000,000 acres? (Are they drilling for nuclear warheads?)
fellfire
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:
exton wrote:

How does a footprint of roughly 2,000 acres destroy an ecosystem measuring over 19,000,000 acres? (Are they drilling for nuclear warheads?)

The problem is not the area that they drill in, its the devastation that supports the drilling. The roads that must be cut, the pipeline that must be laid, the facilities that must be created for the workers and the impact all this has on the ecosystem.

Additionally, a primary reason for opposing expecting the oil companies to destroy the ecosystem is from past experience, i.e. Prudhoe Bay. The activity there disrupted the Caribou habitat which collapsed not only grizzly and wolf populations, but also severely affected the native people of the area, despite assurances from the oil companies that this would not be the case. The oil companies also assured everyone that oil spills would be so well contained, that their impact would be minimal - "Exxon Valdez" need I say more?

So forgive us environmentalist when we see the past repeating itself and we try hard to tell everyone that it will happen again. We might as well unleash a nuclear weapon in ANWAR as let Big Oil drill there.

Oh, and another point ... say Big Oil does drill there, what makes you think that oil will be sold to the US? Think about what it means to grant mineral rights to a corporation in America and remember, we are not Venezuela or Saudi Arabia.
brandal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Prices Reply with quote
fellfire wrote:
TrespassersW wrote:
exton wrote:

The problem is not the area that they drill in, its the devastation that supports the drilling. The roads that must be cut, the pipeline that must be laid, the facilities that must be created for the workers and the impact all this has on the ecosystem.

Additionally, a primary reason for opposing expecting the oil companies to destroy the ecosystem is from past experience, i.e. Prudhoe Bay. The activity there disrupted the Caribou habitat which collapsed not only grizzly and wolf populations, but also severely affected the native people of the area, despite assurances from the oil companies that this would not be the case. The oil companies also assured everyone that oil spills would be so well contained, that their impact would be minimal - "Exxon Valdez" need I say more?

So forgive us environmentalist when we see the past repeating itself and we try hard to tell everyone that it will happen again. We might as well unleash a nuclear weapon in ANWAR as let Big Oil drill there.

Oh, and another point ... say Big Oil does drill there, what makes you think that oil will be sold to the US? Think about what it means to grant mineral rights to a corporation in America and remember, we are not Venezuela or Saudi Arabia.

with the technology available now it is like saying that lasik eye surgery is going to involve a blender when in fact it is just a lazer that will heal super soon.

yes it will take years that is all the mroe reason to curse you enviros, that was your excuse 6 years ago.

and all this "there is not much oil there' is BS. there have been studies that show that it would supply the whole US for 20 years. that would buy us enough time to come up w/something other than this whole corn 4 fuel bull shit. that will do nothing but kill millions of people in 3rd world countries.
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
fellfire - What year was it when they began development of Prudhoe Bay as an oil producing resource?
Turk
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
$3.05
for a gallon of reg unleaded here now
prices are just horrendous
Turk
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:
fellfire - What year was it when they began development of Prudhoe Bay as an oil producing resource?
Nothing wrong with liberals
Its the progressives of the right and left that are ignorant
joeyjock
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wow...there's gotta be a whole sh**load of oil up in Alaska...because everytime the market spikes
It's..."WE GOTTA DRILL IN ALASKA!"
You're not listening to the most profitable companies in the history of the world...that's right
...in the history of the world
They're telling you that ... oh they got oil
...it's the refineries that can't get it out fast enough
...anyone smell Enron antics afoot here???
Turk
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
we got oil but bush and crew want to keep the american people paying top dollar for oil
so things up there are slow
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turk wrote:

You don't like progressivism? Why, exactly, is that?
Turk
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
Turk wrote:

You don't like progressivism? Why, exactly, is that?
Progressives want to scrap the constitution the very article that is supposed to ensure our freedoms here
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As a progressive, i can tell you unequivically that progressivism has nothing to do with scrapping freedoms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Conservative Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4