Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

Your Ad Here

Fox Attacks Black America
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

chevydriver1123
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Fox Attacks Black America Reply with quote
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.....43397.html

Discuss

NOTE: This comes from a LEFT WING blog so I dont wanna hear that its baised because I know that.

Again this is a LEFT WING blog so I dont wanna hear any of you right wingers crying about "fairness"
jusdeadphunky
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fox Attacks Black America Reply with quote
chevydriver1123 wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-rucker/fox-attacks-black-americ_b_43397.html

Discuss

NOTE: This comes from a LEFT WING blog so I dont wanna hear that its baised because I know that.

Again this is a LEFT WING blog so I dont wanna hear any of you right wingers crying about "fairness"

i saw this the other day and i was not news to me. of course fux news is filled with a bunch of racist bigots.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate black america too, how are you supposed to plant crops in scorched earth?
Pwnzr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: FUCK FOX Reply with quote
Fuck them. Fuck fox. That is a corrupt station.
ZackH
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
And those scumbags at MSNBC aren't? Firing Don Imus's MSNBC simlecast the same day he was supposed to do his radiothon to help sick kids with cancer and other blood diseases. Scumbags.
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I can't believe that anyone would take this cut-and-paste hack job seriously. Any news source is going to interview people on both sides of an issue and some of those people are going to say inflammatory things that don't reflect the views of the network. If you present only the worst statements made on air and do so without any context or any rebuttal, it's going to look damning.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:
Any news source is going to interview people on both sides of an issue

No, that's talk shows and entertainment.

Actual news involves finding and showing actual facts, not getting two polar opinions and arguing about them.
ZackH
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
TrespassersW wrote:

Actual news involves finding and showing actual facts, not getting two polar opinions and arguing about them.

That's the theory but they mess up facts all the time. Sometimes i wonder if they even bother researching.
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
TrespassersW wrote:

What if the news story is about an issue that is in dispute? Doesn't presenting the information require offering both or multiple perspectives? In a news story about a court case, which side should they interview, the prosecution or the defense? Or is it possible that presenting both sides can constitute actual news?

And while that's a reasonable point either way, it sidesteps the more important point here, which is that this video proves nothing aside from the lengths to which some people will go to paint those they see as adversaries in a negative light.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
ZackH wrote:
exton wrote:

That's the theory but they mess up facts all the time. Sometimes i wonder if they even bother researching.

They don't, not on television news. But that's because they don't often try to present facts, either.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:

What if the news story is about an issue that is in dispute? Doesn't presenting the information require offering both or multiple perspectives?

Issues in dispute involve facts. Most issues in general involve facts.

Quote:

In a news story about a court case, which side should they interview, the prosecution or the defense? Or is it possible that presenting both sides can constitute actual news?

It makes sense to interview two sides in a court case because that's the theme of a court case - two sides trying to sway a jury.

That is not the case where, say, poverty and black people is concerned. Or crime and black people. Or whatever. Those are questions of actual fact.

Quote:

And while that's a reasonable point either way, it sidesteps the more important point here, which is that this video proves nothing aside from the lengths to which some people will go to paint those they see as adversaries in a negative light.

Well, it's obviously intended to present fox news in a negative light. The website admits as much. That's the point of the video - show bad stuff about fox.

Although one might feel that that's obnoxious, that's not really important. A better question would be, is what they present true?

And what do you think? Do you think that the things said about fox news in that video are not, in fact, true?
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
TrespassersW wrote:

What if the news story is about an issue that is in dispute? Doesn't presenting the information require offering both or multiple perspectives?

Issues in dispute involve facts.

Facts which are in dispute; meaning that there are competing opinions either as to what the facts are or what the facts mean. Hence the need to sometimes present more than one point of view.

exton wrote:
Most issues in general involve facts.

Everything in the world involves facts; that doesn't mean those facts are known.

exton wrote:
TrespassersW wrote:
In a news story about a court case, which side should they interview, the prosecution or the defense? Or is it possible that presenting both sides can constitute actual news?

It makes sense to interview two sides in a court case because that's the theme of a court case - two sides trying to sway a jury.

That is not the case where, say, poverty and black people is concerned. Or crime and black people. Or whatever. Those are questions of actual fact.

Really? What about the cause of that poverty for example? Is there no room in your tidy world-view for competing opinions as to why people are poor or why they commit crimes? Doesn't reporting on such issues often necessitate interviewing people who disagree on what you call "the facts?"

I certainly agree that cable news channels thrive on showing us hyperbole filled shouting matches and I can understand someone saying that--as news goes these are more show than substance--but your blanket "news is all facts and head-to-head interviews are just entertainment" business doesn't seem to stand up to scrutiny.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:
exton wrote:
TrespassersW wrote:

Issues in dispute involve facts.

Facts which are in dispute; meaning that there are competing opinions either as to what the facts are or what the facts mean. Hence the need to sometimes present more than one point of view.

And that's the entertainment portion.

There are, of course, proper ways to show fact disputes and interpretations of events, but television is not conducive to those sorts of things - it doesn't entertain very well.

Quote:

Everything in the world involves facts; that doesn't mean those facts are known.

...hence the point of news. Find the facts and telling people.

Quote:

Really? What about the cause of that poverty for example? Is there no room in your tidy world-view for competing opinions as to why people are poor or why they commit crimes? Doesn't reporting on such issues often necessitate interviewing people who disagree on what you call "the facts?"

Not quite.

In order to actually look at the causes of such things, you need good statistical analysis of the facts. And you need a lot of facts.

You'll note that both of those things are missing from fox reporting (and television news in general, really).

Quote:

I certainly agree that cable news channels thrive on showing us hyperbole filled shouting matches and I can understand someone saying that--as news goes these are more show than substance--but your blanket "news is all facts and head-to-head interviews are just entertainment" business doesn't seem to stand up to scrutiny.

Interviews fit in with facts just fine - when done appropriately. If there's a story about legislation, it's obviously germane to talk to the guy who wrote the legislation. If an event happens, it obviously makes sense to talk to witnesses of said events.

That's very different from grabbing people to go on TV and talk about their opinions.
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
If our society were shaped by people acting on solid facts, the news would only need to report those facts to us. Since our society is shaped by the opinions of people around us, it seems important for the news to report on those opinions.

And here's a stumper for you... Wink what if one of the opinions being shared is that the facts you are being given on an important topic are erroneous?
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:
If our society were shaped by people acting on solid facts, the news would only need to report those facts to us. Since our society is shaped by the opinions of people around us, it seems important for the news to report on those opinions.

I don't doubt that the opinions of the people that run society are relevent. That's exactly why i included the example of interviewing a legislator about his legislation.
Whenever a story is about something that is being done yb a perosn, it always makes sense to talk ot that person.

Quote:

And here's a stumper for you... Wink what if one of the opinions being shared is that the facts you are being given on an important topic are erroneous?

If there's reason to believe that an alleged fact is false, that's where OTHER facts come in to show that this claim (about the original fact being false) is true!

Merely claiming that a fact is false is stupid and irrelevent. Obviously a fact could be inaccurate - there are only two choices! Accurate, or inaccurate. It's a fact of life that anything anyone says could be in error.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3