Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

Farewell Letter Urges Iraqis Not to Hate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Some Chick
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Farewell Letter Urges Iraqis Not to Hate Reply with quote
Farewell Letter Urges Iraqis Not to Hate

Wednesday December 27, 2006 4:16 PM

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) - A farewell letter posted on the Internet Wednesday in the name of Saddam Hussein called on Iraqis not to hate the invaders of their country.

In Amman, Jordan, one of Saddam's lawyers, Issam Ghazzawi, told The Associated Press the letter was authentic and was written by Saddam on Nov. 5 - the day he was condemned to death for ordering the killing of 148 people in the northern town of Dujail in 1982.

It was released on Tuesday - the day an appeals court upheld Saddam's death sentence in the Dujail case - and published Wednesday on his former Baath Party's Web site.

The letter said Saddam was writing because his lawyers had told him the court would give him an opportunity to say a final word.

``But that court and its chief judge did not give us the chance to say a word, and issued its verdict without explanation and read out the sentence - dictated by the invaders - without presenting the evidence,'' it said.

``Dear faithful people,'' the letter added, ``I say goodbye to you, but I will be with the merciful God who helps those who take refuge in him and who will never disappoint any honest believer.''

In its ruling Tuesday, the appeals court said Saddam must be hanged within 30 days.

``I call on you not to hate because hate does not leave space for a person to be fair and it makes you blind and closes all doors of thinking,'' said the letter. ``I also call on you not to hate the people of the other countries that attacked us,'' it said of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

``You should know that among the aggressors, there are people who support your struggle against the invaders, and some of them volunteered for the legal defense of prisoners, including Saddam Hussein,'' it said in a clear reference to the U.S. attorney Ramsay Clark, who joined Saddam's defense team. ``Others revealed the scandals of the aggressors and condemned them.

``Some of these people wept profusely when they said goodbye to me,'' the letter said.
jusdeadphunky
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
i know when the verdict was handed down, the prime minister of iraq said he would not allow saddam to be executed, in order to avoid backlash. i wonder if this has changed.
chevydriver1123
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Once he dies all hell will break lose although it looks like that already
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually if they don't carry out the sentence, nearly 80% of the country will go up in flames. A lot of the Kurds and Shi'as want this sentence carried out, and they will revolt if it doesn't happen. The verdict must be conducted. I'm usually only for the death penalty in very extreme circumstances, and this is one of them.

Also as far as I'm concerned it was the President who didn't want the death penalty, not the Prime Minister. The Prime Minister has repeatably said he would sign any order, while the President usually appointed someone on his behalf so he didn't directly sign verdicts.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is ridiculous, not only should the death penalty be horrendous to any human being, the trial was so obviously fixed it's amazing the iraqi government didn't announce it's support of the guilty verdict three months before the trial ended.

Then for the western countries to SUPPORT the verdict, yea, sure, truth justice and the american way really is working out for Bush huh? I can see how murdering is the american way, and how a trial in which three defense lawyers were assasinated and one judge resigned due to government interference is justice, and how supporting the verdict of that trial was truth, good job guys, really working out well for you.
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
This is ridiculous, not only should the death penalty be horrendous to any human being, the trial was so obviously fixed it's amazing the iraqi government didn't announce it's support of the guilty verdict three months before the trial ended.

Then for the western countries to SUPPORT the verdict, yea, sure, truth justice and the american way really is working out for Bush huh? I can see how murdering is the american way, and how a trial in which three defense lawyers were assasinated and one judge resigned due to government interference is justice, and how supporting the verdict of that trial was truth, good job guys, really working out well for you.

Disagreed. This is their justice system, their verdict and their trial. Not your trial. It was not fixed. They presented evidence and they carried out an appropriate verdict based on the evidence. This is a true verdict based on evidence, anywhere from material witnesses, documents and other witnesses.

You can see how murdering is the american way? Really? You really are spewing out nonsnese. By the way, it is unfortunate three defense lawyers were assassinated, but Saddam had to be tried at all costs. And the judge was removed because he was being deliberately biased and not exercising his authority right.

Seriously what stories were you following?

SO please, pipe down. I don't even like Bush, so don't try to pair me up with him. I, however, do support this verdict and I hope the sentence is handed down accordingly.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
That last part was sarcasm, actually, I kind of hope the american way is not about murdering..

It is their justice system, but the western world should not congratulate them on conducting a fixed trial.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6163938.stm

I hope BBC and Time is a prestigous enough source for you, there is another interesting tidbit in there that I did not know about, not only did the chief judge resign, but three other judges left the proceedings to be replaced later.

http://www.ictj.org/en/news/co.....e/800.html

http://www.theinsider.org/news/article.asp?id=2251

http://www.iraqupdates.com/p_a.....icle/11932

Even someone who supports the verdict says the trial was flawed.

http://www.iht.com/articles/20.....6trial.php

Thats an article from the New York Times by the way.
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
That last part was sarcasm, actually, I kind of hope the american way is not about murdering..

It is their justice system, but the western world should not congratulate them on conducting a fixed trial.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6163938.stm

I hope BBC and Time is a prestigous enough source for you, there is another interesting tidbit in there that I did not know about, not only did the chief judge resign, but three other judges left the proceedings to be replaced later.

http://www.ictj.org/en/news/co.....e/800.html

http://www.theinsider.org/news/article.asp?id=2251

http://www.iraqupdates.com/p_a.....icle/11932

Even someone who supports the verdict says the trial was flawed.

http://www.iht.com/articles/20.....6trial.php

Thats an article from the New York Times by the way.

Those are a bunch of opinion pieces. They aren't necessarily true. They presented the evidence necessary, and they followed the law codes. Those are either by left wing groups like the HRW, or others who want Saddam set free. I'm sorry, but that's just not an option. And it certainly wasn't a fixed trial either.

They did everything they had to. And good one on presenting several links basically saying the same from HRW, that's a good smoke screen. That's not very credible.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I guess your right, the BBc and CNN, not credible at all.
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
Yes, I guess your right, the BBc and CNN, not credible at all.

Dude, you posted basically one article of the same thing from the HRW. That is not many sources, and the BBC is simply reporting what they said. It doesn't necessarily reflect their own views.

I'm simply saying the HRW isn't credible. And also a few of these are opinion pieces based on ethnocentric OPINIONS. You think you know better than everyone else. I say let them carry out justice according to their justice system and they do so.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like I said, I would be fine if they just carried out their form of judgement, it is when western cultures support the decision as a shining example of justice I think it is wrong.

The articles were doing more than just quoting HRW, they were endorsing their facts as truth.
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
Like I said, I would be fine if they just carried out their form of judgement, it is when western cultures support the decision as a shining example of justice I think it is wrong.

The articles were doing more than just quoting HRW, they were endorsing their facts as truth.

I think it was, and I think they followed the procedure necessary under difficult circumstances and presented the proper evidence, including documentation clearly tying him to the 1982 massacres. They even had a former US Attorney General defending Saddam.

The articles were more than often quoting HRW. Their facts? I don't call ethnocentricism factual.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
The BBC and CNN check facts, even if it is quotes.

How can it be a shining example of justice if the defense was not allowed access to key pieces of evidence?
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
The BBC and CNN check facts, even if it is quotes.

How can it be a shining example of justice if the defense was not allowed access to key pieces of evidence?

The BBC and CNN are as biased as Fox News.

The defense was.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not according to the certified facts that those sources I gave you put forth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Liberals Versus Conservatives All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7