Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

Ethiopian intervention

Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Ethiopian intervention Reply with quote
How many of you think this intervention in Somalia is justified? I think the security pretenses are pretty valid, as the Islamic courts wanted to annex part of Ethiopia. Ethiopia has responded with sending 3,000-4,000 Troops backed by MiG-23 fighter jets and heavy weaponry. This has caused an astounding turn-around in the fortunes of the Islamic Courts Militia, which once controlled most of Somalia, and now is reported to only hold Mogadishu.

I think that this situation has to be resolved, with the reduction of the Islamic Courts, and possibly a full-hearted, and not half-hearted, attempt to bring unity to a long fractured country that has lacked a strong central authority, since the overthrow of Said Barre.
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that since there is a legitimate threat to the Ethiopian border and little possibility of diplomacy, intervention when done carefully and correctly is justified. I'm uncomfortable saying any war is okay, but it seems that in this case the Ethiopians are ending a conflict more than fueling one.
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just couldn't believe how fast the war turned around. The Islamic Courts seem almost certain to take Baidoa, which was the base of the transitional government.

However, just today I heard the UN (I think it was Kofi Annan) condemn the intervention. But I'm confused. The transitional government that Ethiopia is supporting is backed by the United Nations, and recognized by the UN. In fact, the UN helped start it. What is with that? Talk about stabbing a friend in the back.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Team America: World Police.
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
\

Relevance?

Please don't spam my post with some second rate movie. Laughing
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Somalia's capital fell. The Islamic Courts were nothing more than smoke and mirrors from what I'm hearing. They are falling faster than dominos.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/somalia

MOGADISHU, Somalia - Clan militiamen poured into the streets of Somalia's capital Thursday after the Islamic movement that has controlled Mogadishu for months abandoned the city and government forces advanced to within striking distance.

Gunfire echoed through the streets and hundreds of gunmen who had backed the Muslim militants demonstrated they had broken allegiance by switching from uniforms to civilian clothes.

Some began looting buildings deserted by the Islamists. One resident said three men and a woman had been killed in a scramble for ammunition and food.

"We will capture Mogadishu any time within the coming hours," government spokesman Abdirahman Dinari told The Associated Press, saying the country was in a state of emergency. "We are now at the entry points of the city."

President Abdullahi Yusuf was expected to offer the clans a truce later Thursday.

Residents south of the city said Islamist forces were streaming south toward the port city of Kismayo. Yusuf Ibrahim, a former Islamic fighter who quit Thursday, said about 3,000 fighters left for Kismayo.

---
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Giancarlo wrote:
Lester wrote:
\

Relevance?

lol...
chevydriver1123
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dont blame Ethopia one bit for getting involved they fear that the war is going to spill into their country so they want to stop it before it gets worse for them
Dirty Jersey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It may spill into a regional conflict. The Kenyan government is growing worried about the Islamists in Somalia. Muslims in Kenya feel disenfranchised and may be inspired to start an uprising and join their brethren in Somalia. And then you have the janjaweed in Sudan, a group of Islamists killing black Christians in Darfur.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Giancarlo wrote:
Lester wrote:
\

Relevance?

Sorry, perhaps there should have been a paragraph under that explaining.

America is not there to be world police, it is here to be it's own country, what gives it the right to decide what is and isn't a good thing?

If the U.S. wants the world to be a more policed and safer place, then perhaps they should start abiding by the rules of the very organization that was put into place to do that, the UN. It's only powerless if you ignore it's power.

Now I know everyone thinks they are corrupt and so forth, but who isn't? At least the U.N. has equal amounts of corruption from all sides, the U.S. however just has it's own corruption, and so is incredibly biased in making world affecting decisions.
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:

Sorry, perhaps there should have been a paragraph under that explaining.

America is not there to be world police, it is here to be it's own country, what gives it the right to decide what is and isn't a good thing?

Who said anything about America in this thread? I'm talking about the Ethiopian government which has a big border with Somalia. It is in their interest their neighbors don't fall to a islamic regime.

Quote:
If the U.S. wants the world to be a more policed and safer place, then perhaps they should start abiding by the rules of the very organization that was put into place to do that, the UN. It's only powerless if you ignore it's power.

I didn't say anything about the US, and you just took this as a chance to take snipes at the US. The UN is useless as it is, and is backstabbing its friends, including the Somali Transitional Government.

Quote:
Now I know everyone thinks they are corrupt and so forth, but who isn't? At least the U.N. has equal amounts of corruption from all sides, the U.S. however just has it's own corruption, and so is incredibly biased in making world affecting decisions.

The US, even the Bush administration, is far less corrupt than the United Nations. The corruption in the UN is disgusting.
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dirty Jersey wrote:
It may spill into a regional conflict. The Kenyan government is growing worried about the Islamists in Somalia. Muslims in Kenya feel disenfranchised and may be inspired to start an uprising and join their brethren in Somalia. And then you have the janjaweed in Sudan, a group of Islamists killing black Christians in Darfur.

I actually don't think it will. Only Somali transitional government troops from what I hear have entered Mogadishu, and took it without firing a single shot. There is a fleeting chance here for the government to take advantage of the situation and establish itself.

The fact that this "war" went by so quickly may actually minimize any effects.

Also once Ethiopian-backed Somali Troops entered the capital they were actually greeted by jubilant crowds, showing that the Islamic Courts probably didn't have any support.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200.....omalia_132

You can view the BBC listed there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Liberals Versus Conservatives All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1