Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

Your Ad Here

Don Imus
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Should Imus have been fired for his calling a whole womens basketball team "Nappy Headed Ho's?"
Yes!
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
No!
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 15

mrtuba2000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Don Imus Reply with quote
So wait just a second here. This morning I woke up to see that Mr. Imus has been fired from his radio broadcasting for "inappropriate" comments... Is it just me, or does this seem to expose America's babying of minority groups in the extreme level that it is? I live in Southern California, and there isn't a day that goes by without myself being called a cracker, or hearing a black person call someone the "N" word. Double standards are a pain, and I think this whole Imus thing has really showed it to be evident. Just to set things straight, I have never listened to Imus, and until this whole stupid thing occurred, I had never even heard of him. Are we really going to just lay back and let the minorities and the left bitch and complain about "nappy headed ho's?" Just my thoughts....
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Imus Reply with quote
mrtuba2000 wrote:
So wait just a second here. This morning I woke up to see that Mr. Imus has been fired from his radio broadcasting for "inappropriate" comments...

Unless I missed a subsequent news report, what I've read states only the Imus' TV show on MSNBC has been canned. His radio show is--as far as I know--still on the air.

Quote:
After a week of controversy, Don Imus was dropped from MSNBC. His television show Imus in the Morning has been one of the most highly rated morning shows on television. It has been one week since the controversy exploded in which Imus referred to the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."
NBC had initially stated that Imus would be suspended for two weeks while they further investigated the matter. However, when several major sponsors, including Staples, General Motors, Sprint Nextel, GlaxoSmithKline, Procter & Gamble, PetMed Express, American Express and Bigelow Tea pulled their advertisements from his show, NBC changed its mind and dropped Imus completely. CBS radio continues to employ Imus, and is currently standing by the original plan to suspend him for two weeks while they continue to investigate the matter further.
http://www.associatedcontent.c.....msnbc.html
Xerxes
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Imus Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:
mrtuba2000 wrote:
So wait just a second here. This morning I woke up to see that Mr. Imus has been fired from his radio broadcasting for "inappropriate" comments...

Unless I missed a subsequent news report, what I've read states only the Imus' TV show on MSNBC has been canned. His radio show is--as far as I know--still on the air.

Quote:
After a week of controversy, Don Imus was dropped from MSNBC. His television show Imus in the Morning has been one of the most highly rated morning shows on television. It has been one week since the controversy exploded in which Imus referred to the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."
NBC had initially stated that Imus would be suspended for two weeks while they further investigated the matter. However, when several major sponsors, including Staples, General Motors, Sprint Nextel, GlaxoSmithKline, Procter & Gamble, PetMed Express, American Express and Bigelow Tea pulled their advertisements from his show, NBC changed its mind and dropped Imus completely. CBS radio continues to employ Imus, and is currently standing by the original plan to suspend him for two weeks while they continue to investigate the matter further.
http://www.associatedcontent.c.....msnbc.html

Yeah, they just dropped the MSNBC video simulcast because the sponsors dropped him.
ZackH
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Disgusting. It's just disgusting. He's a fucking comedian. I hate my country. Tawana Brawly, black people, don't listen to that lying fat fuck Al Sharpton.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Whine whine whine, bitch bitch bitch. That's all anyone ever does.

A 67 year old man - who is known for being harsh and obnoxious - makes racially insensitive comments on the radio. Wow, who didn't see that coming? That's the point of his effing show.

So, i don't think it's sensible to bitch about that.

Then, MSNBC fires him. That's kind of stupid. It's an overreaction to a non-problem.
But then, MSNBC is a company like any other, and they're completely entitled to firing someone for something like that. So i don't think it's sensible to bitch about that, either.

Just everyone stop bitching for fuck's sake. It's a non-issue.
joeyjock
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry...
..as the old sayin' goes "Live by the sword...die by the sword"
You wanna make money skatin' on the edge making semi-racist jokes
when you incur the wrath of the public and the media machine rolls over your dead body....
you gotta say adios muchachos
it's just a matter of time for CBS to cave under the pressure too
Xerxes
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
joeyjock wrote:
Sorry...
when you incur the wrath of the public and the media machine rolls over your dead body....

I think this is actually more of a freedom of speech issue than a race one. Imus violated no FCC rules. Is what he said anymore volatile that Jesse Jacksons' Heimytown slur? MSNBC has caved and sets a precedent that has damaged a persons right to free speech.
ZackH
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
joeyjock wrote:
Sorry...

How is this the wrath of the public? A minority of whites and blacks are being outspoken about this. The majority of the people found the comment either, funny, not funny but also not offensive, didn't care, or was offended but understands that people have the right to say offensive things. We can't outlaw any speech even if it is hate speech. No one talks about the horrible things black people say on Black Militant radio shows, the hatrid that comes out of those stations is unbelievable but white people aren't in the public speaking about firing those personalities. Please you have to respect other people's right to free speech!
joeyjock
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ahh..but Jesse Jackson didn't have a syndicated show on the air at the time when he said it
Believe me I'm not defending his statements or anybody else
And Imus has every right to say what he feels...but in the grand scheme of things in the "market place" it ain't gonna fly

btw....he just got fired by CBS
Xerxes
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here is an interesting piece from an African American journalist Jason Whitlock in an article from the Kansas City Star:

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xerxes wrote:
MSNBC has caved and sets a precedent that has damaged a persons right to free speech.

It doesn't damage anyone's rights. Imus can go get a ham license and yell racial epithets over the radio waves all he wants.

He doesn't have a right to be employed in the radio buisness.
Xerxes
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
Xerxes wrote:
MSNBC has caved and sets a precedent that has damaged a persons right to free speech.

It doesn't damage anyone's rights. Imus can go get a ham license and yell racial epithets over the radio waves all he wants.

He doesn't have a right to be employed in the radio buisness.

What I am saying is that it has harmed free speech. Not the right. The reason that I say this is because in the future radio "personalities" will be more apprehensive to say something, whether it is about race or not. Apparently Imus had a following, myself not being one of those, I think he was a boob.

This sets the stage for any radio, tv or internet journalist to be fired for what they say. Regardless of whether it is true or not. Imus has been like this for 30+ yrs. now. It's not unknown that he says a lot of stupid shit, but should he be fired for it any more than Rush or Savage should. Free speech includes hate speech to. For good or ill.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't disagree that it was wrong to fire him, but i don't think that freedom of speech was affected in any way.

You have the right to say whatever you want, and nothing has changed about that.

What you do not have the right to do is use other people's mediums of communication in order to speak.
Xerxes
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
I don't disagree that it was wrong to fire him, but i don't think that freedom of speech was affected in any way.

You have the right to say whatever you want, and nothing has changed about that.

What you do not have the right to do is use other people's mediums of communication in order to speak.

Apparently he did have a following. It was allright with the network and the sponsors before for him to talk shit. I have heard him say much more stupid stuff than that in the past. He was fired for his speech. and it was not free, well, at least for him it wasn't.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Like i said: he has the right to say whatever he wants. He does not have the right to do it with other people's communications equipment. If he wants to say whatever he wants, he needs to buy his own radio station.

And i know he has a following. I've listend to his show more than once. I liked it, personally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Conservative Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7