Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Doesn't Chavez land prove the truth of libertarian econ?

Home // Conservative Corner

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

cornopean
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Doesn't Chavez land prove the truth of libertarian econ? Reply with quote
More news from Venezeula here;
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02.....ref=slogin

Isn't it plain that increased govt intervention into the economy causes further impoverishment and loss of liberties?
Its about incentives. incentives are perfect when everyone pursues their own self-interest and the govt keeps people from breaking the law. whenever the govt steps in, the incentives get messed up and everyone gets poorer.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
"Mr. Chávez also said he would raise subsidies for state-owned grocery stores. Economists say such subsidies, together with hefty loans to farmers, have allowed the price controls to function relatively well until recent weeks."
cornopean
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
"Mr. Chávez also said he would raise subsidies for state-owned grocery stores. Economists say such subsidies, together with hefty loans to farmers, have allowed the price controls to function relatively well until recent weeks."

well they have kept the economy from complete collapse......yes. if that is what you mean by allowing the price controls to "work". price controls never accomplish what the policy makers, who vote for them, intend.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats a bit of a hasty generalization.
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
Thats a bit of a hasty generalization.

So is "...have allowed the price controls to function relatively well until recent weeks..." Wink
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Those aren't my words, thats the economists whose entire job is to research this kind of thing, nothing hasty about it.
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
Those aren't my words, thats the economists whose entire job is to research this kind of thing, nothing hasty about it.

Yes, I knew those weren't your words; I simply assumed that if you are going to decry generalizations (hasty or otherwise) you ought to apply that standard uniformly.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, of course it's a generalization, it just happens to be a good one, or at the very least one that cornopean respects, because it was from his link.
rynln53

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Chavez is a criminal, he exploited poverty to get into government and just picked up on and intensified anti-american sentiments to get support, whenever he has a problem he will shift focus from himself and blame America. Him and his cronies grow rich like every communist before him while his country is still dirt poor.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bush is a criminal, he exploited shock to get into government and just picked up on and intensified anti-iraqi sentiments to get support, whenever he has a problem he will shift focus from himself and blame iraq. Him and his cronies grow rich like every capitalist before him while his people are still dirt poor.

Both may be true, they may not be, but whatever they are, they don't make either men *criminals*, just politicians. I'm sorry that he doesn't like america, but thats not a definite indication of him being evil.
rynln53

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
chavez is dumb, he wants to take control of the nations most successful industries and put in the hands of his inept government, essentially ending any success they have had.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Except for when they did succeed.
Raibeart
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
rynln53 wrote:
chavez is dumb, he wants to take control of the nations most successful industries and put in the hands of his inept government, essentially ending any success they have had.

He should just capitulate and hand over all the oil production to the US multi-nationals. What a dummy Chavez is to even consider helping the poor.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome Raibeart!

I think I'm going to like you.
Raibeart
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Lester, glad to be here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Conservative Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3