Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Cutting down on plastic bags!

Home // Liberal Corner

Some Chick
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Cutting down on plastic bags! Reply with quote
Ikea to charge U.S. customers for plastic bags Very Happy
Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:17PM EST
By Jon Hurdle

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Sweden's IKEA will charge U.S. customers five cents for disposable plastic shopping bags in what the international furniture giant said on Wednesday was a first step to ending their use altogether.

IKEA said the decision to stop giving away free bags to customers aimed to reduce the estimated 100 billion bags thrown away by all U.S. consumers each year.

IKEA is believed to be first retailer in the United States to undertake such a program, according to National Retail Federation spokesman Scott Krugman.

Concern about widespread pollution caused by the bags has led cities and countries from Ireland to Australia and Rwanda to ban their use. Bangladesh outlawed plastic bags after they blocked drains and contributed to flooding. Taiwan uses 80 percent fewer bags after stores began charging for them.

Environmentalists say the bags add unnecessarily to landfills, clog drains and endanger wildlife.

IKEA currently provides some 70 million free bags to its U.S. customers; it expects to cut that by half in the first year and to eventually eliminate the use of the bags.

The company said it will also cut the price of reusable bags to 59 cents from 99 cents to encourage their use. The program will begin on March 15 at the company's 29 U.S. stores and the money from bag sales will go to American Forests, a conservation group.

Last June, IKEA began charging its U.K. customers for plastic bags, and has reduced its bag consumption by 95 percent, said spokeswoman Mona Astra Liss.

The average American family of four throws away about 1,500 single-use polyethylene bags, which do not degrade for around 1,000 years, IKEA said. Less than 1 percent are recycled.

"We believe Americans are starting to be more conscious of the environment," Liss said. "Our objective is to get people to really think about the impact of the bags which are strangling the planet."
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here in australia we have re-usable bags that givfe you discounts.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here in america we don't really think about it.

Except for, apparently, IKEA.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Because your a consumer society run by capatilist pigs??
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. Because people are myopic and stupid. The capitalist pigs don't help, but they aren't the cause.
jusdeadphunky
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
Because your a consumer society run by capatilist pigs??

by charging for the bags or by not having to use them at all, the capitalist pigs who own corporate chain retail stores actually stand to gain money.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
jusdeadphunky- By giving discounts on bags, like they do in australia, the companies don't make more profit.

i was thinking in terms of if a grocery store chain that has 25 stored in two states no longer had to buy 10 million plastic bags a year, that it could possibly save money which would equal more profit. (but i would guess those plastic bags cost fractions of a penny to purchase so yea they would not really profit). i would have to believe that the discounted bags (i am guessing they are reusable bags that are discounted) are not being sold at a loss.
Anym
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
American apathy/consumerism strikes again!
jusdeadphunky
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
jusdeadphunky- By giving discounts on bags, like they do in australia, the companies don't make more profit.

jusdeadphunky wrote:
i was thinking in terms of if a grocery store chain that has 25 stored in two states no longer had to buy 10 million plastic bags a year, that it could possibly save money which would equal more profit. (but i would guess those plastic bags cost fractions of a penny to purchase so yea they would not really profit). i would have to believe that the discounted bags (i am guessing they are reusable bags that are discounted) are not being sold at a loss.

i am sorry...i hit edit instead of quote and did not realize this until i posted it and could not get your response to exon that i deleted back.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Darn, ahh well, I'm sure it was both witty and poignant.

While they may make profit on selling the bag the first time, they eventually lose money as it gets discounted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Liberal Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1