Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

Your Ad Here

Could the GOP go for Thompson?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: Could the GOP go for Thompson? Reply with quote
Rudy vs. Fred for the 'None of the Above' Vote
http://opinionjournal.com/best/

The latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll shows the Republican nomination contest to be highly fluid. Rudy Giuliani remains in front with 33%, followed by John McCain at 22%. Non-candidate (for now) Fred Thompson is third with 17%, followed by Mitt Romney with 12%. Newt Gingrich, another possible late entry in the GOP race, was not included among the list of names offered to voters.

The demographic breakdown among the candidates is fascinating. Not surprisingly, Mr. Giuliani, as a former mayor of New York, dominates the Northeast states, He has 50% support there, trailed by Mr. McCain's 16% and Mr. Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, with 13%. But in the Southern states, where over one-third of the GOP primary electorate resides, it's a different story. Mr. Giuliani leads the undeclared Mr. Thompson by only 28% to 27%, with Mr. McCain at 21%.

The most striking contrast was between the roughly half of GOP voters who claim to be satisfied with the declared candidates and the one-third who say they are dissatisfied with the current choices. Among those who are content with the current field, Mr. Giuliani has a solid 41%, followed by Mr. McCain at 25% and Mr. Romney at 17%. Mr. Thompson trails in that group with only 10%. Among the grumblers, it's a different story. Mr. Thompson actually leads with 29%, Mr. Giuliani has 22%, Mr. McCain 20% and Mr. Romney only 10%.

Clearly, the three declared frontrunners are all hoping that with time they can close the sale with dissatisfied elements of the GOP base. Undeclared candidates such as Mr. Thompson will be hoping the rest of the field fails to catch on with voters, opening up a market opportunity for new entries.

-- John Fund
Xerxes
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Could the GOP go for Thompson? Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:
Rudy vs. Fred for the 'None of the Above' Vote
http://opinionjournal.com/best/

The latest Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll shows the Republican nomination contest to be highly fluid. Rudy Giuliani remains in front with 33%, followed by John McCain at 22%. Non-candidate (for now) Fred Thompson is third with 17%, followed by Mitt Romney with 12%. Newt Gingrich, another possible late entry in the GOP race, was not included among the list of names offered to voters.

The demographic breakdown among the candidates is fascinating. Not surprisingly, Mr. Giuliani, as a former mayor of New York, dominates the Northeast states, He has 50% support there, trailed by Mr. McCain's 16% and Mr. Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, with 13%. But in the Southern states, where over one-third of the GOP primary electorate resides, it's a different story. Mr. Giuliani leads the undeclared Mr. Thompson by only 28% to 27%, with Mr. McCain at 21%.

The most striking contrast was between the roughly half of GOP voters who claim to be satisfied with the declared candidates and the one-third who say they are dissatisfied with the current choices. Among those who are content with the current field, Mr. Giuliani has a solid 41%, followed by Mr. McCain at 25% and Mr. Romney at 17%. Mr. Thompson trails in that group with only 10%. Among the grumblers, it's a different story. Mr. Thompson actually leads with 29%, Mr. Giuliani has 22%, Mr. McCain 20% and Mr. Romney only 10%.

Clearly, the three declared frontrunners are all hoping that with time they can close the sale with dissatisfied elements of the GOP base. Undeclared candidates such as Mr. Thompson will be hoping the rest of the field fails to catch on with voters, opening up a market opportunity for new entries.

-- John Fund

Has he announced that he was in fact running? If so, will he be debating here coming up on the 3rd?
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
As of right now, I believe he has still not thrown his hat in the ring.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Screw him. Vote for sam waterston. Waterston looks way more presidential.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
Screw him. Vote for sam waterston. Waterston looks way more presidential.

See thats the problem with Obama, he just doesn't quite look the part, maybe if he got his ears stapled back.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the opposite; i think obama looks very presidential.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
More so than Hillary for sure.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well that's 'cause she's a woman. There's no precedent for presidentialness in a woman.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Obama's black!
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
So?
chevydriver1123
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
if he kisses the ass of the evangelicals he can win the GOP nomination
Xerxes
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
TrespassersW wrote:
As of right now, I believe he has still not thrown his hat in the ring.

I look forward to the Rep. debates almost as much as the Dem. I just hope Ron Paul gets his point across to viewers, in the alotted time. Senators and Congressmen tend to get a little long-winded beacause that is how they are at "work"....
little lai
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
chevydriver1123 wrote:
if he kisses the ass of the evangelicals he can win the GOP nomination

who? john mccain? that seems to be his strategy.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
So?

It only just hit me.
TrespassersW
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Xerxes wrote:
I look forward to the Rep. debates almost as much as the Dem. I just hope Ron Paul gets his point across to viewers, in the alotted time. Senators and Congressmen tend to get a little long-winded beacause that is how they are at "work"....

As much as I hate to say it, I highly doubt Ron Paul will be invited to any of the main, televised debates. Most people will never even get a chance to consider his positions, because they will never hear him articulate them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Conservative Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3