Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   

Civil Union vs. Marriage (BIG DIFFERENCE)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

mike920

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Civil Union vs. Marriage (BIG DIFFERENCE) Reply with quote
Many people believe that gays get the same rights in a civil union as married straight couples do. However, that is SEVERLY wrong. Its kind of like the "white only" fountain thats all clean and then on the other side the dirty bug infected "colored fountain" from the 50s or w.e.

Recognition in other states:

Even though each state has its own laws around marriage, if someone is married in one state and moves to another, their marriage is legally recognized. For example, Oregon marriage law applies to people 17 and over. In Washington state, the couple must be 18 to wed. However, Washington will recognize the marriage of two 17 year olds from Oregon who move there. This is not the case with Civil Unions. If someone has a Civil Union in Vermont, that union is not recognized in any other state. As a matter of fact, two states, Connecticut and Georgia, have ruled that they do not have to recognize civil unions performed in Vermont, because their states have no such legal category. As gay marriages become legal in other states, this status may change.

Dissolving a Civil Union v. Divorce:

Vermont has no residency requirement for Civil Unions. That means two people from any other state or country can come there and have a civil union ceremony. If the couple breaks up and wishes to dissolve the union, one of them must be a resident of Vermont for one year before the Civil Union can be dissolved in family court. Married couples can divorce in any state they reside, no matter where they were married.

Immigration:

A United States citizen who is married can sponsor his or her non-American spouse for immigration into this country. Those with Civil Unions have no such privilege.

Taxes:

Civil Unions are not recognized by the federal government, so couples would not be able to file joint-tax returns or be eligible for tax breaks or protections the government affords to married couples.

Benefits:

The General Accounting Office in 1997 released a list of 1,049 benefits and protections available to heterosexual married couples. These benefits range from federal benefits, such as survivor benefits through Social Security, sick leave to care for ailing partner, tax breaks, veterans benefits and insurance breaks. They also include things like family discounts, obtaining family insurance through your employer, visiting your spouse in the hospital and making medical decisions if your partner is unable to. Civil Unions protect some of these rights, but not all of them.

But canít a lawyer set all this up for gay and lesbian couples?

No. A lawyer can set up some things like durable power of attorney, wills and medical power of attorney. There are several problems with this, however.

1. It costs thousands of dollars in legal fees. A simple marriage license, which usually costs under $100 would cover all the same rights and benefits.

2. Any of these can be challenged in court. As a matter of fact, more wills are challenged than not. In the case of wills, legal spouses always have more legal power than any other family member.

3. Marriage laws are universal. If someoneís husband or wife is injured in an accident, all you need to do is show up and say youíre his or her spouse. You will not be questioned. If you show up at the hospital with your legal paperwork, the employees may not know what to do with you. If you simply say, "He's my husband," you will immediately be taken to your spouse's side.
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
What a great post...

I am pro gay marriage...But it is ashame it will never come to be until people start opening their hearts and minds and drop the hatred, bigotry and their twisted translation of the bible.
mike920

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
What a great post...

I am pro gay marriage...But it is ashame it will never come to be until people start opening their hearts and minds and drop the hatred, bigotry and their twisted translation of the bible.

Credit http://lesbianlife.about.com/c.....iage_2.htm

for that.

I find it unbelievable how bigoted people can be, and that people think the BIBLE -not the constitution runs the US. Because ya know... America only has ONE religion. =]
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
mike920 wrote:
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
What a great post...

Credit http://lesbianlife.about.com/c.....iage_2.htm

for that.

I find it unbelievable how bigoted people can be, and that people think the BIBLE -not the constitution runs the US. Because ya know... America only has ONE religion. =]

The constitution has been fucked with so much, should we even call it the constitution anymore?
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was just in an argument about this with someone in this forum. Indeed, civil unions are very much different than marriage. It is just a half measure that some conservatives throw so they can "preserve their beloved marriage". Ridiculous.
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Giancarlo wrote:
I was just in an argument about this with someone in this forum. Indeed, civil unions are very much different than marriage. It is just a half measure that some conservatives throw so they can "preserve their beloved marriage". Ridiculous.

I'm glad to see a gay conservative who is for gay marriage.

I used to argue with this gay conservative on a myspace group who goes by the name AmeriBoi who's opinion on the whole deal was "whatever the government thinks is best."
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:

I used to argue with this gay conservative on a myspace group who goes by the name AmeriBoi who's opinion on the whole deal was "whatever the government thinks is best."

WTF? I'm not a conservative. In fact I'm usually out there blasting conservatives. American conservatives are for bigger government. I'm a libertarian, get it right and stop accusing me of things I'm not. Calling me a conservative just is a complete insult.
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Giancarlo wrote:
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:

WTF? I'm not a conservative. In fact I'm usually out there blasting conservatives. American conservatives are for bigger government. I'm a libertarian, get it right and stop accusing me of things I'm not. Calling me a conservative just is a complete insult.

My apologies...I stand corrected...
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:

Well you have said this several times and I have had to correct you several times. I just can't seem how you can connect that I'm conservative. One can be for the Iraq war, and a moderate. Rolling Eyes
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Giancarlo wrote:
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:

Well you have said this several times and I have had to correct you several times. I just can't seem how you can connect that I'm conservative. One can be for the Iraq war, and a moderate. Rolling Eyes

Fair enough.
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
Giancarlo wrote:

Fair enough.

It just concerns me. I don't want to put out any misconceptions.
chevydriver1123
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It seems to me that Canada, South Africa and I believe Spain are more social acceptable than we are and its pretty sad.
Anym
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gays are tired of being treated like second class citizens to many of them they see civil union like separate but equal. I for equals rights for all.
Just Me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
like I think it was Jesus said around the beginning of the post, aslong as there is harted and closeminded morons then it stay like this.. some are far equal rights for gays but they limit the rights they want us to have....
miketempe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree that civil unions is seperate but not equal to marriage. In able for homosexuals to become equal human beings socially, they first have to become equal human beings legally. I know that every state wants a vote on gay marriage (mostly to make it unconstitutional), but do you think if states had a vote on rights for blacks that any legislation confirming them as equal would get passed? I don't think so. That's why it should be up to the courts. The religious factions should just shut their mouths, pray for our souls, and get their ignorant faces out of our political system. I don't believe that there is any mainstream religion more moral or more versed in the written word than the U.S. constitution. I believe that the Constitution should only be changed to affirm rights, not take them away. No other form of text affirms human dignity in such a way as our constitution. I find it superior in it's morality and humanity. I am beyond sickened by religions that do not take account love into relationships and life in general. It is God's greatest gift, and for any person who think he/she knows God to say "you cannot love that person, it is wrong" does not know God at all. If Jesus were ever to roam this earth because we have created ourselves a living hell, he will return to demolish the religious institutions/ignorance factories, to free mankind and set us on a path of peace of justice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    LVC Home // Liberals Versus Conservatives All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2