Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
Catholic School says Max Hell can't attend.

Home // Atheism Versus Religion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

CustomFordGirl
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Catholic School says Max Hell can't attend. Reply with quote
(shakes head) Y'all will like this - it's about "Christian discrimination".

Quote:
Alex Hell is mad as, well, you know what. His 5-year-old son, Max, was refused admission into a Catholic primary school in Melbourne, Australia because his surname conflicted with its religious teachings, report Agence France Presse, Australian Associated Press, The Age and the BBC News. "We are victims of our name," Hell told AAP. The name, which is of Austrian origin, means "bright." He added, "We are quite devastated by the whole thing. It's 2007, not 1407--the Dark Ages."

At one point during the tempestuous admissions process, Hell offered to change his son's surname to his wife's maiden name of Wembridge, a suggestion that was welcomed by the Michael McGrath, the principal of St. Peter the Apostle primary school. But Hell reneged on that offer and was then told Max would not be able to attend the school. Later, the school relented and said Max Hell could become a student, but by then Alex Hell was fed up and said he would never enroll his son at the school, insisting the change of heart was due solely to media attention.

"The school has turned around and said Max can go there, but why would you want to go there after being victimized?" he told AFP. Alex Hell wanted his son to change schools because he is being bullied at his current school. He told The Age newspaper, "It's Hell. That's our name, it's our heritage." "It's who he is, and if he wants to change his name at 18 then that's up to him." The surname "Hell" is relatively common in Austria.

(shakes head again) Catholicism amazes me over and over again.
Anym
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I heard a similar story about a German kid named Uber Hell.
CustomFordGirl
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I googled that and came up with nothing.. Confused

IMO - kids have no say on what name they're given, so why make a deal about someone's name?

More Catholic junk:

Quote:
From FreeMarketNews.com
Pope: Other Christians Not True Churches
By NICOLE WINFIELD, Associated Press Writer

LORENZAGO DI CADORE, Italy - Pope Benedict XVI reasserted the primacy of the Roman Catholic Church, approving a document released Tuesday that says other Christian communities are either defective or not true churches and Catholicism provides the only true path to salvation.
The statement brought swift criticism from Protestant leaders. "It makes us question whether we are indeed praying together for Christian unity," said the World Alliance of Reformed Churches, a fellowship of 75 million Protestants in more than 100 countries.
"It makes us question the seriousness with which the Roman Catholic Church takes its dialogues with the reformed family and other families of the church," the group said in a letter charging that the document took ecumenical dialogue back to the era before the Second Vatican Council.
(snip)
Benedict, who attended Vatican II as a young theologian, has long complained about what he considers its erroneous interpretation by liberals, saying it was not a break from the past but rather a renewal of church tradition.
The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which Benedict headed before becoming pope, said it was issuing the new document Tuesday because some contemporary theological interpretations of Vatican II's ecumenical intent had been "erroneous or ambiguous" and had prompted confusion and doubt.
The new document — formulated as five questions and answers — restates key sections of a 2000 text the pope wrote when he was prefect of the congregation, "Dominus Iesus," which riled Protestant and other Christian denominations because it said they were not true churches but merely ecclesial communities and therefore did not have the "means of salvation."
The commentary repeated church teaching that says the Catholic Church "has the fullness of the means of salvation."
"Christ 'established here on earth' only one church," said the document released as the pope vacations at a villa in Lorenzago di Cadore, in Italy's Dolomite mountains.

The other communities "cannot be called 'churches' in the proper sense" because they do not have apostolic succession — the ability to trace their bishops back to Christ's original apostles — and therefore their priestly ordinations are not valid, it said.
The Rev. Sara MacVane said that although the document contains nothing new, "I don't know what motivated it at this time. But it's important always to point out that there's the official position and there's the huge amount of friendship and fellowship and worshipping together that goes on at all levels, certainly between Anglicans and Catholics and all the other groups and Catholics," she said.
The document said that Orthodox churches were indeed "churches" because they have apostolic succession and enjoyed "many elements of sanctification and of truth." But it said they do not recognize the primacy of the pope — a defect, or a "wound" that harmed them, it said.
"This is obviously not compatible with the doctrine of primacy which, according to the Catholic faith, is an 'internal constitutive principle' of the very existence of a particular church," said a commentary from the congregation that accompanied the text.

The top Protestant cleric in Benedict's homeland, Germany, complained the Vatican apparently did not consider that "mutual respect for the church status" was required for any ecumenical progress.
In a statement titled "Lost Chance," Lutheran Bishop Wolfgang Huber argued that "it would also be completely sufficient if it were to be said that the reforming churches are 'not churches in the sense required here' or that they are 'churches of another type' — but none of these bridges is used" in the Vatican document.
The Vatican statement was approved by Benedict on June 29, the feast of Saints Peter and Paul — a major ecumenical feast day. There was no indication why the pope felt it necessary to release it now, particularly since his 2000 document summed up the same principles.
chevydriver1123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Catholic School says Max Hell can't attend. Reply with quote
CustomFordGirl wrote:
(shakes head) Y'all will like this - it's about "Christian discrimination".

(shakes head again) Catholicism amazes me over and over again.

You would fit so well in Ireland.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Craaaazy Christians.
Anym
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
It was a joke name.

Secondly all Christian sects think the others are inferior.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
They'll go to heaven, but we'll go to heaven *more*.
Anym
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:

Hey it is and evangelical belief that the pope is the whore of Babylon.
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anym wrote:
Lester wrote:

Yeesh ... have you seen Benedict? Who would pay for that! No thanks, I'll take Atlantic City.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
fellfire wrote:
Anym wrote:
Lester wrote:

Yeesh ... have you seen Benedict? Who would pay for that! No thanks, I'll take Atlantic City.

When Benedict dies I expect all of you to vote for me as the next pope, I was baptised and confirmed, so *technically*, I could be the next pope.
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
fellfire wrote:
Anym wrote:
Lester wrote:

When Benedict dies I expect all of you to vote for me as the next pope, I was baptised and confirmed, so *technically*, I could be the next pope.

Yeah, but you're an Aussie. Isn't there something on the bible about being from the underside of the world - like that's where Hell is or sumfin? (Hell, as in Max Hell's family).
Anym
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
fellfire wrote:
Anym wrote:
Lester wrote:

Okay but you gotta pose with me when I run for president so I can get the jesus vote.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anym wrote:
Lester wrote:
fellfire wrote:
Anym wrote:
Lester wrote:

Okay but you gotta pose with me when I run for president so I can get the jesus vote.

Done and fucking done.

We'll call up the Queen too, cause then you'll snag protestants.
fellfire
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lester wrote:
Anym wrote:
Lester wrote:
fellfire wrote:
Anym wrote:
Lester wrote:

Done and fucking done.

We'll call up the Queen too, cause then you'll snag protestants.

and gays ... gays will always vote for a well-dressed queen.
Anym
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fellfire chief of staff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Atheism Versus Religion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2