Register :: Log in :: Profile :: Mail   
150 Leading Intellects: Internet will end religion.

Home // Evolution Versus Creationism

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: 150 Leading Intellects: Internet will end religion. Reply with quote
People's fascination for religion and superstition will disappear within a few decades as television and the internet make it easier to get information, and scientists get closer to discovering a final theory of everything, leading thinkers argue today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/scie.....amp;feed=1
Rochester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm a little bit skeptical on the time frame they specify but it sounds exciting. I guess the only way to see what happens is to wait.

also the living active lives passed 100 sounds incredible. I'm not sure would want to live that long haha! Laughing
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rochester wrote:
I'm a little bit skeptical on the time frame they specify but it sounds exciting. I guess the only way to see what happens is to wait.

also the living active lives passed 100 sounds incredible. I'm not sure would want to live that long haha! Laughing

Yea man..100+ is crazy...

Chinese people do it all the time Smile
Giancarlo
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 150 Leading Intellects: Internet will end religion. Reply with quote
JesusLopezViejo wrote:
People's fascination for religion and superstition will disappear within a few decades as television and the internet make it easier to get information, and scientists get closer to discovering a final theory of everything, leading thinkers argue today.

Good point the article makes,and it is substantiated by the fact that religion has been declining in strength and power in the past thirty years, and even more in the past one hundred years.
exton
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
JesusLopezViejo wrote:

Not as often as they'd have you think.
Amin
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
depends on what you consider religion

hehehe
PeaceLoveandRockNRoll
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amin wrote:
depends on what you consider religion

hehehe
How so?
JesusLopezViejo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
exton wrote:
JesusLopezViejo wrote:

Not as often as they'd have you think.

LOL.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
Living actively past 100? I sure hope so, I certainly plan to live as long as possible. It's a public service thing really, I don't think the world could go on without me lol Razz
Some Chick
Not a Newbie
Not a Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is exciting! 25 years doesn't seem like quite enough time though. I'd say 40-50.

Except, I'm not sure I want to live to be 100. I'd rather pack a lot of excitement in now and die young (or at least, younger, than 100)
Johnguitars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 150 Leading Intellects: Internet will end religion. Reply with quote
JesusLopezViejo wrote:

Hmm, 20 years ago in my village the church used to have a congregation of about 50. Then it reached 120 and we had to build a new church. Now it has reached 300 and we need to..... build a new church. We've got doctors, lawyers, teachers, professors, scientists, engineers, producers, and a tv anchor woman, all sorts believing in Jesus.
Lester
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
In more technologically and well off parts of civilization religon is on a downturn, but, as always, those that suffer cling to the imaginary 'hero' stories to make their suffering seem justified.
joeyjock
Forum Elder
Forum Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not at all....
religion is on the upswing in a Big way
I agree there will be an intelligencia that will questionthings more as time goes on but remmeber that there's a Major disparity in the distribution of wealth in this world
I think something like half of the world's population doesn't have runing water
religion thrives on the oppressed ... it's where it breeds it's viral load of we are the chosen people and the rest of the world are infidel masses
Johnguitars

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Death of church? Reply with quote
In the UK the pattern seems to be that the long established churches are in decline C of England, C of Scotland, Methodists etc but the charismatic churches are on the increase.

As the generation who regarded church attendance as a badge of respectability die out, this is to be expected. We may have less Churchianity but we have more Christianity.
CryxicKiller
Known Associate
Known Associate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote
These effects are mostly regional. In Europe, for example, religion is down in a big way. A few centuries ago, France was the bulwark for Catholicism on the continent. Now, something like 1/3 of French people are atheists. Insane. In other parts of the world, like Latin America, religious organizations are doing fairly well. Generally, however, religious institutions have lost the sway they once held over humanity. That's undeniable. There used to be a time when a Pope could call crusades. But no one paid attention to John Paul II when he opposed the invasion of Iraq. Things have changed in that respect, mostly for the good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Quick Reply    LVC Home // Evolution Versus Creationism All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5